Crete or Rhodes?

Laramie

Thinking of finally heading off to Greece after years of talking about it. Not sure whether to take a package to Crete or Rhodes or a DIY to Athens and then onward. Any travellers out there who has recommendations?

Having lived ten years in greece for many years and regularly go due to Greek relatives, I'd like to advise you but what time of year , how old are you, and roughly whats your interests -one persons meat is another persons poison

Not beach or water sports. Clean three star hotel or private apartment. Nice restaurants beside sea. Mid 50's. Daytrips. Archaeology. April or early May. People watching. Easy to get to. Near large town to visit.

Thanks Nick.

I've been to Rhodes about 15 times...never to Crete. I absolutely love Rhodes. Love the people, the food, the island in general. It would be a good starting point for a travelling holiday but culturally wise you'd be finished there after a few days...Old Rhodes being the most culturally popular spot. I think you should use this as your starting point as there is a good and busy harbour in Rhodes from where to move onwards. However, there is no direct flight anymore to Rhodes from Dublin (or anywhere in ROI). You would need to go from Belfast. Enjoy!

I would not normally say this for a first time visitor to Greece, but you should fly to Athens because:-
1. Aer Lingus direct flights ,which start 3 May, are under 200 euro inc. luggage, etc
(If you're a single male then no need for luggage - which would only hamper touring. Greece is informal, and Tshirts and shorts are cheap)

2. The weather in greece ,especially Athens, is perfect in May.Ideal for walking, touring, and long days to see everything.

3. Athens is not only Acropolis, the Agora, National museum but the other sights (rather than sites) -the old quarter of Plaka, the many coastal suburbs - and from Athens you can take day trips to Delphi, Myceane, Epidaurus, Corinth.
..plus very close to a few islands like Aegina,Poros, Hydra ,Spetses.

Aegina for example is under an hour from Athens and you'll meet very few tourists compared to the more familiar isles.

indeed ,you can stay on one or more of those islands if you want a bit of quiet after the busy city.

You can go to the more famous touristic islands like Mykonos on any of twenty boats a day leaving the ports of Athens.

4. There are far fewer crowds of tourists -and the prices are much lower in May.

=============================

You don't need a package for any of the above - book the flight and tbook a cheap hotel for the first few days - then decide if you want to stay or explore.

==============

there is an alternative that involves a bit more of the traditional pacakage holiday...

- take a package holiday flight to ,say, Zakynthos or Crete from one of the tour operators .and you'll see well priced packages in May (prices based per person sharing a room -if you're solo, forget it)
You'll be bored after a few days - and then you take a local flight to Athens and do what i suggest above - and then last two days back to the resort.

Personally, I wouldn't do that suggestion. Its mainly sea,pool, craic.
It depends if you want package holiday companionship at first. Zakynthos would be O.K. pretty island,nice town and above all only two hours by boat to the mainland whence a short bus trip to Olympia and then take the bus to/and from Athens.

be brave and get to Athens...

=
I would second lou2's comments on rhodes -fasicnating old town plus lively modern town -but besides Lindos ruins not much else for cultural holiday.

I forgot -
look at astoriatravel.gr
very useful website.
Small travel agency very helpful. run by my friend Costas and his two daughters in Athens - can arrange anything and in forty years since we worked together has not let anyone down.
You can ask him to arrange anything .

Thanks Lou and Nick. As there are no direct flights from Dublin to Rhodes I am leaning toward Aer Lingus to Athens and then take it from there. Visiting one of the nearer islands to Athens or even coastal mainland sounds good. Flight prices still have not come down enough for the back to school week after Easter although I notice a shift in some prices today for other destinations. Now it's about timing.

one word of caution re Flights in early May...

..there are very few charter flights (i.e. tour operator flights) to greece in May from Dub or Belfast. And even those flights that appear to be operating are often cancelled due to lack of demand in May.

Aer Lingus starts Athens 3 May - and of course they may also cancel but generally sched services tend not to cancel as much as charter flights.
At present a return flight to Athens is a very low 80 euros plus taxes -totalling 150 euros return -plus baggage.

Back