Cresote Paint

Ned_ie

Hi

I'm about to paint my wooden fence and was going to use cresote. Someone mentioned to me to use bitchumin to keep the black effect. Anyone know the ratios to use?

Thanks

Didn't know you could stilll buy creosote - see this excerpt from the [broken link removed]

Creosote
As and from June 30th 2003, Regulations (S.I. 220 of 2003) banning the sale of the wood preservative creosote to consumers took effect. This action arose from the findings of an EU scientific committee which concluded from a study available at the time, that creosote has a greater potential to cause cancer than was previously thought. The ban also applies to wood treated with creosote. Creosote may still be used for industrial applications, e.g. railway sleepers, telegraph poles, fencing, but with tougher restrictions on its composition and how it is applied. Further details of these restrictions are included in the information note.

Some of the wood preservers and fence stains on the market are quite good, don't smell half as bad as creosote and would be safer for you to use. :)

Hmm didn't realise that - thanks for that delgirl.

Anyone know of a good product on the market then?

If timber needs to be poisoned (the more realistic term for "treating") then it shouldn't be used at all, use an alternative material.
Fencing posts are "treated" with the aid of fire since prehistoric times. And the charred part of it is all we see today - surviving thousands of years in wet ground.
But when one thinks of it-isn't creosote a form of charred/destilled cellulose itself I wonder....
Visit a historic ring village and ask the tourist guide for information. All the reminent timber that was found is charred. Unless it was burried in peat, but that is a different story.
So burn the pole ends 'till they are pointed, covered in charcoal that goes into the ground and leave the rest in a natural, rought sawn state. No paint!

Unfortnately, the posts are already in the ground. Was done by the previous owner. It is the part above ground I am worried about.

The part above the ground will survive the part below ground for many years. As it is always the case with timber. The cross survives the coffin. Any chemicals added would be a waste of time and resources.

Back