Credit Unions withdraw death benefit insurance

Exactly this. Your typical credit union member’s age is increasing every year so it’s not viable. It was and is a nice add-on while it lasts but in the current environment it’s folly for many credit unions to be paying out 100s of thousands in insurance premiums when they're barely generating a surplus and can only lend out 20-30% of their assets.
Some of the Credit Union reports I have looked at do not mention Insurance or give full reports on Investments. Just look at salaries at the moment way outside what is sustainable. Please call assets what they actually are, an overstock of money. This should have being tackled after the joining the Eur Exchange Mechanism in 1999. I am glad to see that your own Credit Union made efforts in this regard 15 years ago.

Some of the Credit Union reports I have looked at do not mention Insurance or give full reports on Investments. Just look at salaries at the moment way outside what is sustainable. Please call assets what they actually are, an overstock of money. This should have being tackled after the joining the Eur Exchange Mechanism in 1999. I am glad to see that your own Credit Union made efforts in this regard 15 years ago.

I don't understand much of what you're saying to be honest. It seems a bit bizarre. I've never heard any person ever refer to assets as "an overstock of money" and your reference to the Euro Exchange Mechanism is way over my head. All credit unions have to report their accounts in line with FRS102 so I'm not sure what reports you have been looking at. I didn't mention anything about my "own Credit Union" either.

A work Credit Union has very few expenses such as premises etc and likely no bad debts.
Different Credit Unions are Independent entities, not "brabches" of anything.

I attend the A.G.M of our local credit union recently and asked about the Insurance. They have no plans to drop it at the moment but the auditor did point out that it does not seem to be a selling point for loans. They have too much cash which they can't lend and now have to pay huge amounts of money in regulatory levies.

Back