Credit Union Loans

Bexie

Hi All

Looking for anyone's recent experience of getting a loan from the credit union. I've E600 in shares and E800 in a loan outstanding, but have just spotted a car i'd love to buy. I've been with the CU for years, had many smallish loans,,, paid off with no problem.. But I'm now thinking of looking for 3k ish.

I've know the CU (like all other financial institutions) are much cagier with their loans these days, so any recent experience would be much to very welcome.

Thanks
Bexie

if you have €600 in shares and a loan of €800 and borrowing a further €3000, that will bring your new loan balance to €3800, which is a ratio of more than '6 to 1'. wheras 3-1 is a more normal ratio. even at a €3000 total loan balance that ratio is 5-1 which is still high. afaik the regulator is cracking down on 'top up' loan's which is essentially what oyu are looking to do.
Ratio's however are only used as a rule of thumb and each individual CU has it's own loan policy.
Likewise the length of time your in your CU and your own payment and saving's history will also determine wheather or not you get the 'top up'