Credit card transactions

ssiaman

Hi,

I got a credit card statement in January and I noticed 2 transactions which I could not remember. I disputed it and they refunded the money and now a few weeks later they investigated it and they tell me these transactions took place back in 2006 but are only appearing in my statement now as if they only happened recently.

How do I know they are not screwing me here? How far back can they go.

ssiaman

This has been covered a few times recently on this forum.
Yes, they can charge your credit card now. i think they have 6 years to do this.

This means I have to place a lot of trust in what the bank is telling me. If I dont have a statment from 2006, I dont have a leg to stand on and it also means I could well be paying twice.

So the date that appears on your credit card statement beside each transacion does not really mean anything, it could be for a transaction I made anytime in the last 6 years.

Why do you have to trust the bank? If you have the transaction or sales slip from 2 years ago in your unreconciled pile, this highlights that the transaction has not appeared on a previous statement and is valid because it either has your signature or "verified by PIN" on it. I simply staple the transactions that appear on the statement to it each month once I have reconciled, and keep the unreconciled sales slips separately to match against later statements.

On my cc statements there are two dates; a transaction date and a posting date; the first usually matching the date on the sales slip and the second the date the card company makes the charge against my account. Sometimes they are the same.

If you're afraid of being billed twice, and it seems from your posts that your current system of managing your cards might not be reliable enough to prevent this, then maybe you need to review the system you use.

fair enough, thanks for your reply. I am not as organised as I should be. Time to ditch the credit card I think.