Credit card renewal screwed up refund?

MysticX

Hello all,
I'm ina bit of an unusual situation.

I RMAed some electronics back to a well known e-retailer who attempted to process a refund for me today.

However I got an automated e-mail from their payment system saying the transaction was refused by my card provider??? The 'transaction' / refund appears as a negative figure thereby adding credit to your CC once it's been accomplished.

Now I've done RMAs before with this crowd with no difficulties processing refunds (partly why I regularly shop with them). I've contacted my card provider who swear there hasn't been any transactions this week from the company in question.

Now to the unusual part. Since between the time I originally placed the order and the RMA completed my original CC expired but It was renewed with the same number but different expiry date and CSV numbers. Could this have screwed up the refund mechanics (thought this would have been okay since you only need the card number for refunding.. so I believed?) The CC provider swears they have nothing to do with refunds and wouldn't block them anyways but from initial communications the opposite side seems to be pointing fingers back at them.

Mmm comments?