Credit card recommendation for non current account holder

ryaner

With Ulster bank leaving I also need to move my credit card. I'd really like to find a credit card that has online access without the new for a current account in the same bank - previously boi wouldn't give 365 access since I didn't have a current account.

Another requirement is that the 3d secure is via an app and not text message. I was shocked to see that AIB still use text messages for verification recently.

Can anyone recommend a card that might fix these two requirements?

I was shocked to see that AIB still use text messages for verification recently.
Why? I am on the text message for verification purposes but I also have to insert my password at the point of purchase.

Why? I am on the text message for verification purposes but I also have to insert my password at the point of purchase.
Text messages are massively insecure as a form of verification, and also for different reasons I don't always have access to a phone network when making card purchases.

Text messages are massively insecure as a form of verification, and also for different reasons I don't always have access to a phone network when making card purchases.
Would you need a phone for the App verification?
Regarding the credit card question. My card was with Ulster Bank with a €3k limit on it. Plenty in that for me except when renewing health insurance. I moved to AIB recently and asked for €3k. They confirmed that amount but when I got my card it only had €2700 limit on it....after being told it would be the same as Ulster.
It was based on my pension income. I pointed out the large balance in my new AIB current account but this was not taken into consideration.

If you don't have access to your phone I think you'll be scuppered for almost all providers.

Avantcard has a nice online portal. Their credit card access isn't tethered to a current account from them either. I think they are using their phone app rather than text message for verification purposes. Though I can't honestly remember the last time I got one.

Which brings me on to another option. Have you considered using something like Curve Card? I have my credit card likened to my curve Card and whenever authentication is required it gives me the option of text or in-app approval.

I have an AIB credit card and all authentication is on the app , not by text but you also say that you don’t always have access to a phone but you need a phone for the app

If you don't have access to your phone I think you'll be scuppered for almost all providers.

Avantcard has a nice online portal. Their credit card access isn't tethered to a current account from them either. I think they are using their phone app rather than text message for verification purposes. Though I can't honestly remember the last time I got one.

Which brings me on to another option. Have you considered using something like Curve Card? I have my credit card likened to my curve Card and whenever authentication is required it gives me the option of text or in-app approval.
Phone != Phone Network. My UB app works via wifi lots of times that the mobile network can't deliver text messages.

Thanks for the Avant suggestion. Nice to hear they are using the app more. They weren't when I rang them to ask back when UB first started leaving.

Curve itself isn't a credit card and I need a card for travel and pre-authorisations.

I have an AIB credit card and all authentication is on the app , not by text but you also say that you don’t always have access to a phone but you need a phone for the app
People last month were saying AIB was still using text messages for card authorisations. Is it a setting somewhere to redirect to the app?
I do have a phone, just not mobile network signal on a regular enough basis to be a requirement.

I can’t remember how to set up the AIB app to use the app for notifications but it definitely works . I assumed it was standard. Yes. The app works on WiFi , wouldn’t all apps ?

I use Curve with my AvantCard too, to enable Google Pay.

Have you found the Curve app notifications reliable? I've never gotten them to trigger on Android, despite fiddling with the power settings.

I use Curve with my AvantCard too, to enable Google Pay.

Have you found the Curve app notifications reliable? I've never gotten them to trigger on Android, despite fiddling with the power settings.

They're very hit and miss - thought it was just me. I usually default to the text message authorisation to be sure of getting them. In saying that it's very good at telling me when the card is used (rather than the virtual one).

Back