Credit Card receipts

ivorystraws

Hi,

A very happy New year to everyone!

Just a quick question. Is it possible to obtain a copy of all credit card receipts either business or personal from the credit card vendor? Also, will these credit card receipts serve as a receipt for a business related product which I can claim VAT back on (since I am registered for VAT)?

Thanks for all the helpful information I received in 2005!

I don't understand - you get a credit card receipt when you make card present payments. Are you referring to replacement copies where these are lost or card not present (e.g. online/telephone) transactions or something like that?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. I'm assumming that the Credit Card companies have copies which are obtainable by the Credit Card user? So is it as simple as contacting them for a copy of these receipts?

Also, I realise you should get 2 receipts when making a purchase via credit cards i.e. one for the product bought and one for the credit card, but I was informed some time ago that only the actual product receipt is a valid receipt in the case of reclaiming VAT for business purposes.
Does this make sense or have I been misinformed?

Also, with the introduction of "chip and pin" credit cards, I think you only receive one receipt now.

ivorystraws said:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. I'm assumming that the Credit Card companies have copies which are obtainable by the Credit Card user? So is it as simple as contacting them for a copy of these receipts?
Would the card account statement not suffice? I doubt that the card provider will issue copies of receipts but if they do expect a charge for same.
Also, I realise you should get 2 receipts when making a purchase via credit cards i.e. one for the product bought and one for the credit card, but I was informed some time ago that only the actual product receipt is a valid receipt in the case of reclaiming VAT for business purposes.
Does this make sense or have I been misinformed?
I would imagine that the VAT receipt is required - after all the credit card receipt says nothing about the nature or price of the goods or the VAT component of the price charged.
Also, with the introduction of "chip and pin" credit cards, I think you only receive one receipt now.
That's not the case in my limited experience of chip and PIN credit card transactions.

Hi,

I am a credit card merchant/vendor. I do not think it is possible to re issue copy receipts other than duplicating them at time of sale from the terminal. Then again I have never ever been asked for copies later..I suppose an actual photocopy of the merchants copy would be feasible though I doubt it would be sufficient for revenue purposes and would prove very troublesome for the merchant.

All Revenue are interested in (in this context) are VAT receipts and a credit card slip is not a VAT receipt.

Anything produced by the credit card company won't be any use in the context of reclaiming VAT because the credit card company didn't charge the VAT or issue the VAT invoice.

z

zag said:
All Revenue are interested in (in this context) are VAT receipts and a credit card slip is not a VAT receipt.

Anything produced by the credit card company won't be any use in the context of reclaiming VAT because the credit card company didn't charge the VAT or issue the VAT invoice.

clubman said:
I would imagine that the VAT receipt is required - after all the credit card receipt says nothing about the nature or price of the goods or the VAT component of the price charged.

I agree. Note also that the credit card company issued receipt would not contain the vendors VAT number another essential part of a valid VAT invoice.

Hi

Not all Irish comanies issue valid VAT receipts...

including the Post Office, Tesco and many other large organisations... they don't always show the VAT number or VAT rates... obviously you can buy from these places and reclaim the VAT, if you ask these places why they don't issue valid receipts they just look at you as if you're crazy... Ireland is very unprofessional I think... (I'm a Irish citizen)

prepaid Phone credit includes vat at 21% but this is rarely shown on receipts or is shown incorrectly...

I have sought clarification from Revenue on several occasions as to what constitutes a valid receipt considering the above (and more...) and haven't received a response... quite incredible...

Hope this helps
Joe

Back