Credit Card Problem

avent

Hello all. My wife has a problem with her credit card from AIB. She owes 1377 euros on it with the last year and a half. She got a letter last January asking about our means and how much could we repay, which we responded to and offered a small amount per week as we have a mortgage and bills as well to pay as we are both not working and receive very little social welfare.
My wife received a letter from Intrum Justina last week letting her know that they had been issued instructions to collect the debt. Today she received a second letter demanding payment, so we are wondering where do we stand on this matter.

we are both not working and receive very little social welfare.

Well then they know very well that if they take you to court a judge is most unlikely to order you to pay anything. I would just offer them whatever you can afford to pay it back, I would assume on the dole that might be 1 Euro a week. But please engage with them and write back. If they are going to continue applying interest I would probably offer them zero as there would be no point.

Yes they have frozen the interest, so who would be the one to respond to AIB or Intrum Justina?

Contact Intrum Justina(worst thing you can do is ignore them) and outline your circumstances and your repayment proposal. Do this in writing and keep a copy of the letter. They might go for a judgement on your property - which you can ask to be lifted when the debt is repaid.
Other option is to look for a settlement figure with AIB if you have any lump sums coming your way (they normally look for about 70% of the debt). If you feel overwhelmed dealing with either AIB or I.J. make an appointment with your local MABS branch who will engage on your behalf.

I agree with the advice re Mabs. Looks to me that AIB are out of the picture now. Mabs will help you draft a letter to IJ.

And they are not going to court to put a judgement on your house for the amount owed.

Back