Credit card phishing

Bergin007

How does credit card phishing work? I bought an item on-line yesterday with my credit card. Today I got an email, supposedly from MBNA, stating I could win 1000 euro worth of groceries if I click on a link to their website. It looked really tacky with a big milk carton! Check it out www.visa.ie. It asked for my name, last 6 digits on credit card, date, amount and location of my last grocery purchase. I sent the email on to MBNA's fraud dept and they stated they would close down the site, but it is still operating. My question is, if they managed to get the brand of my credit card, my name and email address, why were they unable to get the number of the credit card?

Had a look at the site using whois and it says it's registered to a company called MarkMonitor who seem to be a legit company - in so far as any company on the net can appear legit. Also the guys who register IE domains are pretty strict about who gets one. I reckon the site is legit but it's a very very poorly thought out campaign and personally I wouldn't be too quick to enter my details

I heard an ad on the radio for it last week - so I do think it could be legit. I actually think it asks you to enter the first six digits on your Visa (are the first 4 always generic?)

Think it is an odd kind of campaign too

Tacky looking all right, a milk carton in a glass box with laser beams.

McAfee siteAdvisor shows visa.ie linked to visaeurope.com which appears to be legitimate.

You should report this as a matter of urgency to the Financial Regulator.

It is an appalling practice for a legitimate bank to be sending emails to people asking for credit card information.

Many customers will be unable to discriminate between this "legitimate" promotion and the next phishing email they receive.

Brendan

Just noticed an ad for this in the Sunday Times, page 9. It is a replica of the website. When I phoned MBNA they said it has nothing to do with them.

From looking at the site it being run by Visa themselves and nothing to do with MBNA or any other credit card provider.

[broken link removed]

They are looking for the first 6 digits of your credit card, name, transaction date, amount. The only thing that I would imagine that should be there and isn't is an SSL cert, so it may be a legit site.

Just to follow up on this, I emailed Visa and they have come back saying its a legitimate site and promotion by them.

you should report this as a matter of urgency to the financial regulator.

It is an appalling practice for a legitimate bank to be sending emails to people asking for credit card information.

Many customers will be unable to discriminate between this "legitimate" promotion and the next phishing email they receive.

Brendan
+1

The first six digits simply identify the type of card and the issuing bandk. The next seven are your account number and the last and sixteenth a luhn digit.

Back