Credit Card - Payment made for travel/accommodation but can't go now due to illness in family.

Dublin 16

I paid for a travel and accommodation recently with my Avant card Credit Card but had to cancel my travel because of illness in the family. Is there some kind of insurance cover when you use a Credit Card to pay for something?

I paid for a travel and accommodation recently with my Avant card Credit Card but had to cancel my travel because of illness in the family. Is there some kind of insurance cover when you use a Credit Card to pay for something?

Nope.

You are potentially covered against things like non-receipt of goods via the chargeback scheme but it's unlikely to apply in this case. If you have no travel insurance of your own then you may be dependent on the suppliers goodwill

Some credit cards offer insurance, you have to check with your card issuer. In addition, generally if you've booked a hotel there is a 24 hour cancellation options. You also have the individual airlines own policies to look into. Some allow refunds, some allow you to change dates.

Avant card dont cover anything.

Never heard of them, but I see they're based in Leitrim.

[broken link removed]

They also say quite clearly that the travel service should not be taken to mean insurance.

Please note this is not insurance and is not a substitute for travel insurance.

Back