Credit Card Limits

aamstudent

I have three credit cards - one for the business, one for personal and one for motoring/travel expenses. The combined credit limits are about 25K.
I never use 25K. I might use 3/4K on average but that would be it.

I have noticed in the past that the banks double the limits when calculating the exposure they have, on the basis that if a customer developed a problem he/she could have run up two months bills before the bank would be able to cancel the cards. On that basis they would feel they have a 50K exposure.
Would it, then, make more sense to pull the credit limits back. Would it leave me looking less risky to the bank.

If you never use the 25k, there it does not make sense to have your limit set to this level -why not calculate the maximum amount you would require on any one card and ask for the limits to be set accordingly. And why have the third card surely if the motoring / travel expenses are business related they can go on that card and similarly personal expenses. Have no idea what any of this means in relation to you risk rating expecially if you pay your bills when due.

if a customer developed a problem he/she could have run up two months bills before the bank would be able to cancel the cards.

I don't follow. The credit limit is a cumulative limit, not per month.

Back