Credit card insurance.

redbhoy

Ive a BOI credit card and am looking to buy stuff over the Net. Ive done it loads of times but it was from sites such as Amazon, cdwow and ticketmaster.
Im wondering, would I be insured if i bought stuff over the Net and somehow the site was dodgy and my details and money were stolen?
Ive tried ringing BOI this morning but cant get through.

Thanks in advance

Hi Redbhoy - While it's right to be cautious about online purchases, I wouldn't get too hung up over this. Use of your credit card online with a reputable supplier is probably safer than using the card in your local restaurant or petrol station.

There is no 'insurance' that applies to unauthorised purchases of your account. However, in general, if you did not recieve the goods for any purchase, you can dispute the transaction with your card company. This puts the onus on the merchant to produce proof of purchase (e.g. signature) to validate the transaction.

Personally, I've found BOI card services to be very good in handling disputed transactions on my Amex Blue account this year.

Check the terms & conditions of your credit card agreement to see what's covered and what's not in the event of unauthorised use. Many sites use "proxy" payment services such as PayPal these days which avoids having to expose your CC details to individual vendors in case that's of any use.

Not exactly the same but related............

We're about to put a large deposit on a new kitchen - 50% of the total cost.

The agent is in Dublin, the manufacturer is Italian.

The manufacturer charges a 1.8% commission for payment by credit card.

We're intending to use Mastercard via Bank of Ireland.

What security do we have? e.g. If the agent in Dublin went bust, or if the Italian manufacturer went bust?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

D.

Back