Credit Card in Credit Balance due to refunds - how to access the cash

SiobhanK

Hi,

Wondering if there is a simple solution to this. My credit card is now has a significant credit balance as a result of several refunds received due to the current Covid-19 crisis - luckily I got my refunds before things really kicked off.

Does anyone know is there any easy way to get the money off the card - if i withdraw it from an ATM do i have to pay the cash withdrawal fee even if its in credit. Although I dont really want to be using cash these days either. I know i could just use the money day to day but i plan on using this money for another holiday again in the future so i dont want to touch it if that makes sense?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to pay cash withdrawal charge for credit withdrawals, as long as you are sure the money is there on your card.

You shouldn't have to pay cash withdrawal charge for credit withdrawals, as long as you are sure the money is there on your card.
That depends on the bank & card. Some cards do charge even if in credit.

Call your card provider. They'll transfer the money to your current account if they have your details already.

That depends on the bank & card. Some cards do charge even if in credit.

Call your card provider. They'll transfer the money to your current account if they have your details already.
Fantastic - thats great news!! Thanks!

Wow, I assumed it was across the board - I'll have to watch out for that if I ever change provider.
Yes, I think traditionally it would have been across the board, but even with AIB for example they charge in their Click & Be cards, but not on others.
People automatically think it's free, but not always.

Ring your provider, generally there shouldnt be a charge for withdrawing cash from an ATM if your card is in credit.

Prepare to wait. I rang UB credit cards on 20 April to transfer an €800 credit balance to my current account arising from travel refunds. The guy was pleasant and seemed efficient. I'm still waiting for the transaction to take place!

Prepare to wait. I rang UB credit cards on 20 April to transfer an €800 credit balance to my current account arising from travel refunds. The guy was pleasant and seemed efficient. I'm still waiting for the transaction to take place!

'Seemed efficient' but no transfer done yet. I would be chasing them on that immediately.

I was putting it down to reduced staff due to the current crisis, but you may be correct!

Last edited:
Hi all,

does anyone know if refunds can be transferred across banks, ie; BOI credit card to AIB c/a or is the transfer only possible ‘in house?’

Back