credit card fraud: on line gambling company I have nothing to do with removed $190

oaky9

I came home yesterday and checked my banking online and noticed 190 US dollars taken out by a gambling website which i had nothing to do with.

I rang the banks credit card customer service number and explained the situation, but because i have a deposit history with paddy power and two other gambling sites they thought i was pulling a fast one.

Came home today and 2 more withdrawals of 200 us dollars.

I have contacted the gambling site involved and they are getting back to me.

Have I any recourse with my bank and i do not have credit card fraud protection.

Re: credit card fraud

thanks sally i did that while i spoke to customer service yesterday but they already had taken out 400 dollars sometime yesterday. lucky i checked my online yesterday cause havent checked in over a week and i have a 20k limit . unreal

You contacted your credit card company & told them this was not you & they still approved further payments to this merchant.
They are most definitly liable for any money taken!!

On the topic of credit card fraud, most of us think that with chip and pin we are a lot more secure. However a friend of mine was very upset to see two charges on her card for two single trips to Holyhead. Her bank was no help, she immediately cancelled the card. She then contacted the ferry company who was able to tell her that her card had been used for two single journeys for a van with two adults and five children travelling.Apparently they used her name and had her number. She has no idea how they accessed it as she is extremely careful .The company told her that this is a common scam and usually the people involved book by phone about an hour before sailing and travel with false number plates. She was lucky as the ferry company agreed to take the hit and she didn't have to pay. As she doesn't use the internet she can only think that at some point her card details must have been copied in some retail outfit and perhaps passed on.

the gambling site in question have got back to me and have told me if i send them a police report they will give me the monies back and they said they strongly advise me not to contact my bank, here is the mail they sent back i took out my name and their names for obvious reasons so i may see my local guard and explain the story and get some sort of letter off him and fax it to them, hope it works out.

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have already made a research on that credit card and in our system appeared
that an account <...name of account removed by mod..> has been created using your personal information,
including full name, address and email address, such account has been already
disabled.

We also found three (3) deposits made with your credit card, the information
about those deposits appears as follows:

- $190 made on 10/12/2007
- $200 made on 10/12/2007
- $200 made on 10/12/2007

We strongly advise you not to dispute the charges in question with your issuing
bank since we will return the funds into your account as soon as we receive a
copy of a police report from you clearly stating the facts that you are
claiming.

Please scan and attach this document to the email (
[email protected]), or
send it via fax to 1xxxxxxxxxxx

We really appreciate your understanding and cooperation in regards to this
situation.

Please let us know if you require further assistance or additional information.

Best regards,

xxxx
xxxxxxxx ~ Security Department
'The xxxxxxx Poker Experience'

Oakey. glad that you heard from the site but I wonder why they stronly advise you about the bank, surely if they are giving you back the money anyway it shouldn't matter to them whom you contact. Maybe I am being overly suspicious, my instinct would be to photocopy everything and forward it to the Bank's fraud dept. If you use somewhat similiar sites is there some fraudster on another site who has managed to get your details and this gaming site don't want any scrutiny of their site? Maybe for online gaming it would be sensible to have a separate card with differant details and lower limit etc. To me that reply sounds a bit fishy but I'm probably wrong. Best of luck with your refund

Is there any way you can do a check on the owners of the actual website? Their reply appears very unprofessional to me.

190 US dollars taken out by a gambling website which i had nothing to do with.

the gambling site ... said they strongly advise me not to contact my bank......

It looks like you are being sucked into an elaborate scam to me.

Inform your bank! cancel the CC! Inform the guards! and do not continue with correspondance with these guys.

I got a call from my bank yesterday telling me that there were two requestd for payment on my credit card amounting to about €7,000. They rang me to check before allowing the payment. I knew nothing about this. Someone had my details and luckly went for large amounts. Well done to the bank for once. I've cancelled the card and consider myself very lucky on this occasion.

Is there any way you can do a check on the owners of the actual website? Their reply appears very unprofessional to me.

Perhaps it is not unprofessional - perhaps it is just someone who's first language is not English.

It looks like you are being sucked into an elaborate scam to me.

Inform your bank! cancel the CC! Inform the guards! and do not continue with correspondance with these guys.

I'm not so sure it is an elaborate scam. Their reluctance to involve the bank may be more to do with protecting their own record (and fees) with their back regarding chargebacks. The requirement to notify local police may be a matter of 'testing' claimants to protect themselves against chancers.

Having said that, I think I would be notifying my own bank if I was in OP's shoes.

Their reluctance to involve the bank may be more to do with protecting their own record (and fees) with their back regarding chargebacks. The requirement to notify local police may be a matter of 'testing' claimants to protect themselves against chancers.

OK, but remember the OP says he has absolutely no connection with this on line gambling company. On investigation he knows very very little about the company that took €190 from his CC account.

I would absolutely not trust or even entertain entering into correspondance with an anonymous on line gambling company which been involved with compromising my credit card account.

Again, cancel your card, inform your bank and inform the police.

aj

the company that took the 590 dollars have told me they have refunded the money to my card but i cancelled the card before i informed them and told them i have a new card. is it possible to refund money to a cancelled card.

the company that took the 590 dollars have told me they have refunded the money to my card but i cancelled the card before i informed them and told them i have a new card. is it possible to refund money to a cancelled card.

Isn't there normally a redirect to your new card. This is what happened with my Visa card some years ago when I cancelled. Otherwise payments/charges would be in limbo. Best to contact your provider to confirm this.

Re: credit card fraud: on line gambling company I have nothing to do with removed $19

Whatever you do, do not give the new card details to this company for the refund. That may be obvious but no harm in throwing it out there.

Oakey. glad that you heard from the site but I wonder why they stronly advise you about the bank, surely if they are giving you back the money anyway it shouldn't matter to them whom you contact. Maybe I am being overly suspicious, my instinct would be to photocopy everything and forward it to the Bank's fraud dept.

This is bad advice, if the site is willing to refund the money, cancel the card and accept the refund.

If you contact your bank, the site can't refund the money as it's subject to an investigation (if they refunded you directly, the bank can still take the disputed charge as well, so they end up paying twice). You'll still get your money back if you go this route, but you may find that your details will appear on a high risk database and you'll be unable to use your card online.

Re: credit card fraud: on line gambling company I have nothing to do with removed $19

My feeling is that the whole thing is possibly an elaborate scam by the "gambling site". I would give all the details to your bank and to the police. I think it is very strange that the site would advise you against discussing the matter with the bank, surely a legitimate operation would not mind the bank being involved as long as the matter was resolved satisfactorily.

Scams have become very sophisticated in recent years, it's a huge business now. Over the last 12 months I have reduced online purchases with my Visa Card by 70% ..... and only use about 3 or four different sites, mainly for travel tickets etc...

just received my money back at last im very happy with the outcome it was about 420 euro. the website involved were very cooperative and i have no complaints .

Back