Credit Card fees

looteht

Hi all,

I recently noticed AIB were charging me 30 euro a year for my Credit card.
I never use this card since AIB sent me a debit card(which I didnt ask for).

Anyway to avoid the fee I decided to cancel my card. Called up AIB to cancel and they are charging me 30 Euro to cancel the card. Is this right.

Card has now cost me around 150 euro over the last 4 years and I never use it.

Indirect taxation, that is a Govt charge, another stealthy one as you and I guess many others had little awareness of.

It seems unfair that the €30 stamp duty is still payable on a credit card that has not been used during the year, whereas the stamp duty is not payable on a debit card that is not used during the year.

Hi all,

I recently noticed AIB were charging me 30 euro a year for my Credit card.
I never use this card since AIB sent me a debit card(which I didnt ask for).

Anyway to avoid the fee I decided to cancel my card. Called up AIB to cancel and they are charging me 30 Euro to cancel the card. Is this right.

Card has now cost me around 150 euro over the last 4 years and I never use it.

See:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...es_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

Relevant info:
<snip>
The duty is payable on April 1 for the preceding year. The tax year for the stamp duty begins on April 2.

If the credit card account is closed and has never been used, no stamp duty is payable provided that you close the account in the same period as it was opened.
If you don't close the account in the period it was opened you will be charged stamp duty on it even if it has never been used. If you have used your card and you close your account during the year, you will be charged stamp duty on closure.
</snip>

Back