Credit Card Expiry Date Problem

NavanMan1

Hi,
Just thought I would let you all know of a problem I have just encountered with my UlsterBank Visa Card.

Went to book flights & hotels online for travel in March. Filled out all the details etc but when I submitted the form, an error occured as my credit card expired date is end of Feb.

Phoned up Ulster Bank about the problem. They can't extend the expirey date on the card, they have to issue a new one.

This means that the card I have now is invalid, have to wait 7 days for the new one to arrive, if I am lucky.

Result is I have no credit card for next weekend, have to use cash till then. Also have lost out on a good holiday deal.

Thanks a lot Ulster Bank, hope you join the 20th century soon whatever about the 21st........

My frustration with that shower in UB is killing me, must go and get a chill pill...........

Went to book flights & hotels online for travel in March. Filled out all the details etc but when I submitted the form, an error occured as my credit card expired date is end of Feb.

This means that the card I have now is invalid
Why is it invalid if the expiry date is in Feb?
Thanks a lot Ulster Bank, hope you join the 20th century soon whatever about the 21st........
Are you sure that the problem does not lie with the site/merchant/receiving bank in this case?
My frustration with that shower in UB is killing me, must go and get a chill pill...........
There are lots of other CC providers out there if you are not happy with UB.

Is it that perhaps the hotel won't be processing the charges until March and by that stage the card will be invalid?

If so I imagine that it might well be the same for all banks.

I don't understand how there would be a problem with you booking travel etc in March even if your card expires in Feb. Surely you are paying for them now - when the card is valid - and not next March?

I presume its because the travel/hotel period is in March, the month after.

As for other cc providers, the only reason I stay with Ulster is because I have my mortgage with them. Hope to be able to pay it off within the next five years, and when that day arrives, will take current, credit & savings to an Irish bank. I think the problem with Ulster is that they are British, all the backoffice stuff is always reverted back to England which seems to cause problems & delays leading to poor customer service.

Why is it invalid if the expiry date is in Feb?

Are you sure that the problem does not lie with the site/merchant/receiving bank in this case?

There are lots of other CC providers out there if you are not happy with UB.

I presume its because the travel/hotel period is in March, the month after.
So it's not UB's fault and the card is not invalid after all?
As for other cc providers, the only reason I stay with Ulster is because I have my mortgage with them.
That's no reason not to get other banking services (current account, CC etc.) from other sources if you choose.
I haven't had any major problems with UB to date. I also have accounts with many other non Irish institutions and their nationality or where they operate from never caused me any major problems.

Misunderstanding here.

One of the advantages of a credit card is that it enables you to buy products/services online. When I attempted to buy a holiday yesterday using my UB visa card, a problem arose as the expiry date on the card was 02/08 while the holiday I was buying is in March.

I contacted UB Visa card customer service, explained problem and requested if they could extend the expiry date on the card. Was told it was impossible and that they would have to issue new card which would take 7 working days to reach me, also my present card would be invalid as of now. This means no access to credit for al least 7 days.

When I asked if they could not just use the same procedure when issuing new cards for cards whose expiry falls due, where you can use the old card right up until you receive the replacement, was told that that's how it is and there was nothing she could do.

So what I don't understand is what's the difference between issuing a new card on an existing account and replacing a card on the same account ? Why do I have to loose access to credit for at least 7 days.

Also will this effect my partner who has a visa card on my account ???

I presume that they were treating this as a card cancellation and issuing a new card as they could had you reported the card stolen etc. As opposed to the normal scheduled issuance of a replacement card around the time that an old card was reaching its expiry date. Maybe the UB people could have been more flexible? Maybe they could not? Maybe the same would have happened with any card provider?

If there is another card on the account then you should ask UB if/how this might be affected by you being issued with a new one.

From the sounds of your original post, the issue was originally with the holiday vendor, not with UB
UB are correct, they cannot and will not extend expiry dates on credit cards, no bank will for security reasons
Any bank systems will have a marker set to issue you a new card in advance of the expiry date of your old one.
Why do you have to use cash, do you not have a laser card?
Your current card will be valid unless you have told UB to cancel your current card or unless they misunderstood the call

Just an update & to close out on this issue.

Received my replacement Visa card on Fri 18th, four working days. So top marks to UB for getting this out within the SLA of 7 working days.

Between Mon 14th & Fri 18th, was still able to continue to use the existing Visa card, even for online transactions with Elara. So no marks to UB Customer Service who informed me over the phone that the existing card would be cancelled.