Credit Card Dilemma

J

jb1981

Hi All

Looking for some advice / information.

I have had a UK BOI credit card for about 8 years. There is a balance on it, not a major amount, but a balance none the less. I no longer live in the UK, I live in Ireland. I am having extreme difficulty meeting the minimum payments ( again they are not much, but unfortunately they come behind the mortgage, food, diesel etc.. you all know the story ). I have been paying it for 2 years now, even though i have live in Ireland for that time. And have tried my best to keep up, as I am not one to not pay my way as such. I haven't used the credit card in about 4 months. But the balance is not going down as I am only meeting the minimum payments. My question is ( as I feel I am going to end up missing a few payments between now an Christmas due to our circumstances ) if i stop paying it what happens, given I no longer live in the country. What are the consequences if any? Would love some advice.

Thanks
JB

have you communicated the fact you are having difficulties paying it with the lender? Why not cut up the CC, write to them, explain your circumstances, that you have stopped using the card. Ask them to freeze the account. This will stop rise in interest.
Alternatively if the amt is not that much could you get a CU loan to cover it and spread out that cost.