Credit Card Debt and Death

Yes it would, all debts must be cleared if the estate can afford to, the executors have no option.

If it’s Bank of Ireland - do a gdpr request and check actual records before you discharge any ‘debt’. There’s a good chance they won’t be able to provide records. They wrote off three accounts for different members of my extended family - total value was c. €4,000 - one term loan and two credit cards - dublin and county Kildare branches

If it’s Bank of Ireland - do a gdpr request and check actual records before you discharge any ‘debt’. There’s a good chance they won’t be able to provide records. They wrote off three accounts for different members of my extended family - total value was c. €4,000 - one term loan and two credit cards - dublin and county Kildare branches

In the US, that’s called being a deadbeat.

People who look for any excuse not to pay legitimate debts make banking products more expensive for everyone else.

Disgraceful.

Nothing ‘deadbeat’ if the bank fails to comply with statutory / regulatory requirements.
BOI admitted they failed to comply with basic account regulatory processes.

Nothing ‘deadbeat’ if the bank fails to comply with statutory / regulatory requirements.
BOI admitted they failed to comply with basic account regulatory processes.

Say I buy something for €2k on my credit card. I pay it back. God forbid I died, my wife would pay it back. What we wouldn’t do is write to the bank looking to avoid repaying the money by taking advantage of Section Whatever of the Bank Record Keeping Act. Because that is morally wrong, it is deadbeat behaviour, and it costs everyone else in terms of higher charges. Deadbeats cost us all.

‘Deadbeat’ is where the bank can’t keep basic records in accordance with their regulatory / statutory requirements.

‘Deadbeat’ is where BOI falsified records and get caught out by external agencies on their unorthodox conduct.

I expect such behaviour is restricted to multiple ‘isolated’ incidents that were discovered by the
- FSPO,
- data protection commissioner,
- ICB credit bureau and
- Cabot Financial - debt collection agency. Facts speak.

Clearly it would be preferable if our banks did not act in such ways - similar to tracker controversy etc etc. You are indeed correct we all pay for this conduct by the offending banks -

Yes - as customers we pay validly owed debts. That’s the law.

Last edited:

The most bizarre advice I've seen on AAM.

As a society we should always pay our just debts, in the case of the OP the deceased person had the use and availability of credit, the idea of a strategy such as that recommended to try and avoid a legitimate debt leaves me speechless.

I agree - nobody on AAM has an issue with repaying a ‘legitimate’ debt. The 3 cases I referenced did not meet this threshold at BOI.

So the bank weren't able to provide credit card statements to show your extended family spent the money??? The bank probably wrote off the debt rather than spend time dealing with that nonsense. Actually maybe you have a point.....I am going to make a GDPR request tomorrow whatever that is. I am sure there is some form missing a dotted I....goodbye mortgage.

Agreed - the bank provided different records than those actually issued - their debt collector refused to act on their behalf as a result.

Again I must clarify - nobody here has an issue with a valid legitimate debt -

issue only arises where a bank engages in unorthodox conduct and are found out ...

expect people with tracker mortgage issue discovered similar only when they made some investigation on the bank’s paperwork. The bank never own up to errors or intentional mistakes. in this case the BOI even denied that they record telephone calls in 2019 ..,

for information - gdpr is a data protection act request www.dataprotection.ie

Back