Credit Card: Consider charges before using for Large International payments

I've made a larger payment by credit card last year in the US - around 4000 Euros and I can't remember seeing charges like this

Making a purchase using a card

Cash advance fees are not charged if using your credit card to make a purchase.

Exchange rates are charged 2 days after the purchase so you have no way of knowing what rate you will be charged on the day of payment. Rates are not 1.75% (visa card), 1.91 (mastercard). You can be sure they will take the low of the day so realistically you will be paying at least 2%

Using an ATM
You pay be charged an advance fee if your card is in credit or debit.

i.e Mastercard standard card only charges if you are in credit,
Mastercard b card charges if you are in debit or credit when withdrawing money from an atm.

If your credit card is in credit & you withdraw at an ATM you are not charged a cash advance fee, how can a bank charge you a cash advance fee on your own money!

If your credit card is in credit & you withdraw at an ATM you are not charged a cash advance fee, how can a bank charge you a cash advance fee on your own money!

Actually ccraig is right about one thing - AIB do charge you for withdrawing cash from Click or Be cards, even if the account is in credit. See an earlier post from me above. Where ccraig is wrong is assuming this cash charge applies to purchases - it doesn't!