Credit Card Compromised

The_Banker

I am not sure if this should go under “leaving off steam” or “non financial questions” so the mods may move this…

Basically, I am doing a clear out and I needed to get a skip. A few weeks back a flyer came in the door advertising skips and the prices and they seemed good so I checked out the website. There was a booking form on the website however, as I would not be there from 9-5 (due to work) I rang them to book and paid by credit card over the phone.
In the past when I booked a skip, I paid for the skip when it was delivered and then rang them to collect when full. As I would be in work and couldn’t pay cash I therefore paid over the phone by credit card.

So I gave them my email address and they said they would send a confirmation email.

The confirmation email arrived 5 minutes later but to my shock it contained my credit card number, expiry date, name and the cvv number from the back of the card.
I rang back and complained and it seemed that the person who took the booking put all the credit card details into the comment section of the web page. I got no satisfaction and was told how else were they going to let the company delivering the skip know that I had paid?

It seems that the company I used appear to be a booking agent for a lot of skip companies and the girl who took my call just filled in the web page as I called out the details. The website wasn’t secure and email sure as hell isn’t.

As I am getting no satisfaction from the booking company is there anyone I can complain to? I have already cancelled my card but they (the skip hire agents) cant understand what my issue is. Total bloody amateurs..

The company should keep your information safe and sending it by email is not safe IMO. You should complain on the basis of a breach of that right.
Also, why did they need to write it down? Your right is that info will only be held for as long as it is needed. Are they passing it to a third party ( skip company)? If so ,did you know your credit card info would be passed a third party?

It is illegal for any company to store a CVV number. I deal with credit card payments in work and I have to process and delete/obscure those numbers.

Back