Credit Card Closure Govt Cost

M

Mondi

I have just requested to close my Bank of Ireland Credit Card Account, I paid 40 euro in Government charges in April and was advised to do the same again now if I wish to close the account as it is charged for any part of a year. Any advise? or Must Pay?

Hi Mondi

I'm afraid the answer is yes, you owe them €40 when you close the a/c. The €40 you paid in April was for the previous year.

If you open up a new credit card a/c before 01 April 2005 you will be charged another €40 in April 2005.

Marion :hat

Make this Stamp Duty a Monthly Charge

Perhaps we could convince the incoming Finance Minister to make this Stamp Duty a monthly charge? This would do away with the situation referred to by mondi above.

ajapale

cc charge

. . . and also reduce his revenue take and increase his costs.

I don't think that'll be a flyer somehow !!

Re: cc charge

....and also reduce his revenue take and increase his costs.

Hi swoon,

It is not unknown for a Finance Minister to introduce tax measures which have the effect of reducing his revenue and incurring additional costs.

I think a monthly credit card tax might even increase revenue as cardholders may hold two or more cards for a period of time. I certainly notice €40 a month a lot more than €3.33 a month. He would also have the ability to increase the tax to say €3.50 a month.

How do you think that this measure would add to the Revenue's costs?

Ajapale

Dont get me wrong Im not defending this horrible anti-competitive and regressive tax. Im just pointing out that a monthly levy is simpler and a little fairer than the current set up.

Re: cc charge

It's very simple if the government want to encourage competition and think that we should shop around for financial services then there should not be a Tax on shopping around.

I won't take this government seriously until their actions get a little closer to the Rhetoric.

-Rd

Re; Credit Card Closure Govt Cost

Check [broken link removed] out. The anti-competitive tax might just disappear (but you will be blue in the face holding your breath until the Gummit repeals it0.

Re: Re; Credit Card Closure Govt Cost

Interesting to note that our only hope of having some of the more ridiculous taxes removed is through pressure from Europe.

Are there still people out there who believe a more powerful Europe would be a bad thing?

Perhaps this has all been a clever ploy to stamp out Euro Skeptics in Ireland

-Rd

Back