Credit card charge

Radar

Forgive me if this has come up before. I recently made an online work-related purchase from a UK company and used my personal credit card details by mistake instead of my business card. Within minutes of placing the order, I realised my mistake and phoned the supplier who said that they would immediately return the amount (about £250) to my card and took the details of my business card. Everything went well and the goods were received but, when I eventually got my personal credit card statement, it correctly showed the same sterling amount going out and back in on the same day but they used a different exchange rate for each transaction, leaving me short €13. Not a large amount I know but I am a bit annoyed about it - can they do this?

I'd say the problem is with your card issuer and not your supplier - the supplier just refunded the same sterling amount.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I meant the credit card company - are they entitled to do this?

Well I would ring up and ask. It seems a bit unfair. But I have to say it's happened to me and sometimes the exchange rate actually works out in your favour.

Radar, Your credit cards currency is Euro. When you purchase in another currency the credit card company is effectively buying that currency to pay for your commodities. When a repayment is made in another currency back to your credit card the credit card company is selling the currency back to you in Euro. There is always a difference in the buying and sellng rates plus commission. I would contact the credit card company and argue that the actual transaction did not take place as it was on the same day and ask for the refund in good faith.

PS thanks for all your help with the TV

I have argued in good faith before with the credit card supplier and on all three occasions they refunded the money.

It's happened me a couple of times and both times they refunded the difference with no fuss.
Ring them up and tell them about it and it will probably be as easy as that.

Back