Creative Zen & Vista

zag

Has anyone managed to get their Creative Zen (micro in my case) talking to Vista ?

I have checked around on the web and it appears that a 'feature' of Vista is that it has dropped support for certain types of media players. Or, as it could be spun, they have provided support for the most cutting edge devices . . . and apparently the Zen isn't one of them.

It seems that the zen can be made compliant via a firmware update, but I am having difficulty finding that firmware. There is reference to upgrading to a v2.x firmware, but I can't find it and when I connect my Zen to my XP machine and tell it to check for updates it doesn't report and firmware updates available. You can't do this check via Vista by the way because . . . since Vista doesn't recognise the device you can't communicate with it.

Does anyone know the secret . . .

z

Any chance it's due to Vista insisting on DRM (e.g. PlaysForSure) and you not having the relevant firmware on the player? See [broken link removed] for example (this list is filtered by OS=XP but if you filter by OS=Vista then most of the downloads are no longer listed). There is a firmware upgrade that supports PlaysForSure there. Of course it could be a real pain to introduce DRM into your setup but with Vista you may have no choice!

Hi Zag,

I've the same problem. I think there may be a downloadable fix/solution for this on the Creative website but I just haven't had a chance to investigate further.

Baz