Creative Zen Sleek - Problem

GreatDane

Hi

My "better half" has a Creative Zen Sleek, which was bought Dec'05 (just outside of warrenty, wouldn't you know).

It has recently started having problems, with the sound becoming distorted (kind of like someone has been messing about with the various balances, so the vocals are almost non-existant while bass is very loud etc).

We've tried everything, including wiping the entire machine (reformating it, I think the correct description is), but no joy.

Has anyone had any problems like this & if so, successfully found a solution ?

We've made contact with Creative, who nicely told us:

- the warrenty had expired (by about 6 weeks !), so it was not their problem & they can't help .. but would flog us a new / re-conditioned one.

- they could not recommend a repair shop etc

... talk about good customer relations

Anyway, if someone can recommend a solution, or refer a repair shop etc I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers

G>

Have you tried a different set of headphones?
If the same problem occurs with another set then perhaps the headphone connector is damaged?

Hi

Yes, tried different headphones, thanks ..... agree, it could be the connector which is damaged, but where to get it fixed is the question ?

Thanks

G>

Usually to get devices like this repaired the repair centres charge you as just below the cost of a new unit!!

Bring it back to the place you bought it as they are responsible for at least getting you a quote on a repair - albeit just under the cost of a new one.

If Creative are offering you a refurb it might be good value but make sure you ask about the warranty with the product.

Best of Luck!

angrylad said:
Bring it back to the place you bought it as they are responsible for at least getting you a quote on a repair - albeit just under the cost of a new one.

Is this a statutory requirement?

I am not sure if this is a statutory requirement - but it is most definetly good business practice.

With devices like Creative though the retailer may advise you that in their experience that it is not worthwhile getting a quote - this while often time is seen as a sales push by retailers is in fact the truth.

Don't know if this will help, as I find that normally if something like that was working, and then stops, it is usually mechanical (as Clubman said - possibly a connection).

However, I have a Zen sleek, and recently was having problems synchronising when I downloaded WMP10.

The solution was to install the latest firmware for the sleek, available on the Creative site. This will also do a complete format of the drive, so back everything up beforehand.

The new firmware also updated some of the menu items on the Sleek.
The latest firmware is Creative ZenCreative Zen Sleek Playforsure Firmware 2.01.03

It is worth downloading it to see if it makes a difference.

Be aware that the Playforsure firmware turns the Sleek into an MTP device. This means that any Windows XP machine will automatically recognise the Sleek. Also, you will have to use Windows Media Player to transfer music. The Creative Mediasource program becomes redundant.

Is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware? I am happy enough to continue using Mediasource. I have also heard that upgrading can cause problems with the radio?

Is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware? I am happy enough to continue using Mediasource. I have also heard that upgrading can cause problems with the radio?

I don't think there is any benifit, if you are not having problems with the current firmware. There are a few new menu options, but nothing you couldn't live without. I had to upgrade as I use WMP10. I don't know if there are any problems with the radio, as I haven't used [the radio] since.

Think twice about upgrading to PlayForSure capable firmware if you have concerns about DRM and how it might prevent you doing what you want with your legally held music collection.