Creating a GAA Club Website

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

I have been charged with setting up a website for my local gaa club - nothing too frilly but something that provides a basic history of the club, photos, guest book, match reports etc..... This has been something i have threatened to do for a long time and to be honest its something i would love to know how to do, i.e. design a decent, if basic, website.

I have designed the page appearance and am happy with it so it really is a case of transferring this into a web page.

However i have no real idea of where to start with this. I have programmed before but not in HTML. I guess what i am asking is whats my first step? I have access to Dreamweaver which i hear is the best thing since the sliced pan when it comes to web design......but maybe i dont need to use this?!?

My options as i see them are:
1. Do a few internet tutorials
2. Buy a "HTML Book for Dummies / Dreamweaver" and push on from there
3. Do a basic webdesign course in Dreamweaver / HTML.

Have people who have gone through the same process any advice for me? I am under a small bit of pressure to get this out and to be honest i want to hand-over something that looks some bit professional!

Thanks,
WB

The main languages are HTML, XML and using PHP, MYSQL and Apache.
These are what most web developers use these days.
There are some good tutorials available online by simply googling html / XML/ PHP tutorials.

www.php.net might be a good place to start. or www.sitepoint.com

ixus - www.twinklin.com

ixus,

Thanks for the help - had a look at your website.....very impressive visually....really nice feel

However I think i will probably go down the Dreamweaver route as, having spoken to a friend, it sounds easier than learning a whole load of new syntax for what may be a one of project (Obviously i will need to be familar with the code to an extent).

Therefore do you (or anyone else on AAM) know of any Dreamweaver tutorials that come highly recommended? I would be willing to pay if i felt the price was right as most free online tutorials barely scratch the surface of their subject matter.

For example, recently i had to build a database in Access and so i did the Acess section of the ECDL course - gave me a really good understanding of how the program worked in about 10 hours.....something similar for Dreamweaver would be ideal......

WB

Afraid i have no experience with dreamweaver at the moment, have gone the route outlined above.

But I'll ask around some knowledgeable people and try and get back to you this evening.

Hi Warren - Have you worked out who is going to host the website for you? You'll need to make sure that whatever tools you use are compatible with the hosting servers.

WarrenBuffet said:
I guess what i am asking is whats my first step? I have access to Dreamweaver which i hear is the best thing since the sliced pan when it comes to web design......but maybe i dont need to use this?!?

WB

Hi Warren,

Check out the Local Government Computer Services Board (LGCSB) Mobhaile Program.

'The Mobhaile is offering community and voluntary groups an opportunity to have their own websites and online workspaces - with no technical skills required! This is facilitated through the Local Authorities of Ireland.'

WB,

I know that the GAA can also provide help to you for this. I'm not an expert in web design at all but I check club emails and all that kind of thing. If you contact your co board or even go straight to Croke Pk they should be able to help you out. They migh also be able to provide you with a web address and put a link on their websites.

AKA said:
Hi Warren,

Check out the Local Government Computer Services Board (LGCSB) Mobhaile Program.

'The Mobhaile is offering community and voluntary groups an opportunity to have their own websites and online workspaces - with no technical skills required! This is facilitated through the Local Authorities of Ireland.'
Hi AKA - Thanks for that very valuable pointer - Looks like that could be a very useful resource for many community groups.

RainyDay said:
Hi AKA - Thanks for that very valuable pointer - Looks like that could be a very useful resource for many community groups.

Yeah it's a great program. It is designed for people who want to generate a website without having to learn how to program etc.

I developed a website for my local gaa club recently - www.clgghaothdobhair.com or [broken link removed]. Developed it with ASP and running off an Access database which seems to be what you're looking for. The website has an admin section which allows the lads at the club to maintain it, ie add fixtures, results, reports, etc(strongly advise to add admin section as this makes it a lot easier to maintain). I'm a web developer so was fine, but to be honest it quite a bit of work for someone new to it and would take quite a bit of work. Might be worth you while getting someone to develop for you and then advertise on site to cover cost of development and hosting costs.

Back