Craughwell, Galway

CreNaCille

Moving to Galway and will be working in Galway city. Can't afford city prices and would like to live somewhere that I can walk to some basic amenities - a shop, pub etc.

Thinking of looking at a couple of houses in Craughwell.

Anyone have any thoughts what the village is like?

It's a lovely village and one of the few as yet unspoiled by major development. It has a couple of nice pubs and a shop, a post office and a few decent furniture shops.. that's more or less it.
A word of warning though - unless you're working irregular hours, plan on spending at least an hour each way in traffic heading in/out of town each day....!

Thanks Dunners.

From what I gather, the commute from any of the surrounding towns and villages to Galway city is a slow one.

A word of warning though - unless you're working irregular hours, plan on spending at least an hour each way in traffic heading in/out of town each day....!

This will depend greatly on what side of Galway you're working. You only really hit traffic when you get to the outskirts of Galway city so the worst part would be crossing the city or even geting into the city center. This might be of use if you were trying to get into the city center as it uses the bus lane so avoids a lot of the traffic.

I'll be working on the east side of the city so I don't have to worry about crossing the bridge.

Is there anywhere else you'd recommend looking at - Athenry, Clarinbridge etc.

East Galway is a large area and the population centers each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Athenry, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, Gort, Craughwell, Kinvarra should be looked at I'd say.

Athenry - Hotel, Gym, more shops - train to Galwy (very handy for a night out in the city get train in and taxi home)...
Craughwell - more of a village, taxi's dearer.
Oranmore - House prices dearer, great location.
Kilcolgan - lovely area near Kinvara and Clainbridge.
Clare Galway - Stay away traffic horrific. Lovely upcoming area apart from traffic.
Loughrea - I would look into. Town will be lovely soon once road works fixed. Lovely shops etc....

PM if you need any other details - big decision