Crash repairs and costs - what to do?

ciars

I was in a small crash early December. I rear ended another car and caused a small crack to the rear bumber of the car. His car was an 01 Golf.

We exchanged details, decided to settle it ourselves and he said he'd be intouch. (however we did call the Guards and they notied the accident) A few weeks later I recieved a call from him and he basically told me it would cost 500-600 to replace the bumber. We ended up having a coversation about perhaps just mending the car and would that be cheaper? At this point he stated he was thinking of trading the car in, and if the crack didnt effect the overall cost of the trade in I wouldnt have to pay anything. Which I thought was decent enough.

I just got a letter from him today. Basically outlining that he traded his car in but the dealership deducted €500 off the price due to the repair needed on the bumper. He also inclosed a 'Quotation' from a repair garage outlining it would only cost €290 to fix the crack' and now says he'd be happy to settle on payment of €250 from me (to cover the deduction). He also states that he cant get any documentation from the dealership to outline they've deducted €500.

I know it could be a lot worse but I feel that Im being had! How do I know there was a deduction from the dealership. For all I know there wasn't nad he's just chancing his arm with the €250? On the other hand If I push to get confirmation of a deduction for the car - then I could end up paying more.

Any ideas on how to proceed forward?

well are you satisfied that the quotation of €290.00 is accurate? IMO it's irrelevant whether the garage deducted money or not if you caused €290.00 worth of damage then you should pay for it.

Just checked the documentation again. It was a Peugot 206 (01).

But I agree, It could have been a lot worse. It's my own paranioa that's set in. I just think if a garage told me they were deducting €500 for a craic, but I new I could get it fixed for €250 - I'd get it fixed and hope to maintain the correct value of the car? Particularly if someone else (me) was due to pay for it.

The fact that he can't get documentation to prove the deduction is bizzare.

Anyhow - probably best just to pay it and walk away.

ciars

250 seems fine to me, there had to be some pain after the crash.

I would say just take the hit.

Back