crash car put back on the road

Ants09

hi just want your opinions on this !
a few yrs ago i was involved in a car crash and the car was a write off as the chassie was damage etc now i know that this car is back on the road again and i am wondering is this legal and if i should contact the current owners and give them details of the history of this car !!

I don't know the law. But as far as I know once a car is repaired to the correct standard theres no reason it can't be put back on the road. I think theres certain classifications about how bad it is, and if it can be repaired. I might be mixing that up with the UK though.

a few yrs ago i was involved in a car crash and the car was a write off as the chassie was damage etc now i know that this car is back on the road again and i am wondering is this legal and if i should contact the current owners and give them details of the history of this car !!

This is actually a tricky one, firstly, just because a car is an insurance "write off" does not mean that it cannot be repaired to a road worthy standard, as AlbacoreA stated.

But as to whether you should tell the new owner or not its history is debatable. My first reaction would be to mind your own buisiness, you no longer own the car and it has nothing whatsoever to do with you, however then I started to wonder are you actually morally bound to inform the new owner.
Could you rest easy if they were involved in a fatal accident due in some way or other to faulty/dodgy repairs?
I know what you should do, but whether you do or not is your choice.

I don't see any problems with telling them. But it maybe be perfectly legal. So don't assume it is. That all.

hang on, its a mechanical write-off I understood that it couldn't be put back on the road again - I stand corrected if this is not the case. If its a financial write-off by the insurance company I understood this may be able to be put back on the road depending on what work is needed. Seeing as it was a chassis damage, I wouldn't expect to see it.

As for telling the driver, can you get close to the car & see the insurance company details on the disc, call the insurance company and have it out with them rather than telling the owner/driver.

back to near 100% again ?

Define 100%. It has to pass a inspection as far as I know. Thats the criteria. I know of a Hackney that was written, off, chassis trashed at the rear from the suspension posts back. It was straightened, fixed and passed the inspection for public vehicles (the exact name of the test escapes me) and put back on the road as a Hackney. That was a cheap car. I can imagine an expensive car would be well worth doing the work if it was bought damaged for peanuts. I'm guessing since a weld is often stronger than the original metal, a well repaired car might actually be stronger than it was out of the factory.

[broken link removed]

I'm open to correction, on all of the above.

Some guy backed into my bros car.

Insurance job. Garage charged 2500 for bumper wing light and an alloy and labour.

It doesn't take much to write a car off, uneconomical to repair.

I am sure I could have done all this for less than 600 quid.

Similiar story with a friends car

Garage qouted 1100
Me and mate did it for 150

Heated the bumper popped right out, 1 new part needed. Garage wanted to replace the whole front end.

all write off cars are stored on a database, its public information, you can see it on cartell.ie

people shouldnt buy a car without checking if its been a total insurance write off. The current owners, if they are fairly savvy would have checked.

all write off cars are stored on a database, its public information, you can see it on cartell.ie

Public information (e.g. National Vehicle File) but still have to pay €20+ to access the information via third party, so not really public IMO.

Back