Crank Sensor Citroen C3

Emma1980

Hi
Have been having a bit of trouble with my Citroen C3 starting. I won't always start for me 1st time, and i have to rev the hell out of it to get it going! It started happening over the winter and i though it was just the cold weather but it's started again over the last week or so. I brought it into Advance Pitstop on Monday and they hooked it up to the computers and told me that there was no fault appearing on it although they could see that there clearly was a problem. He told me that he was 80% sure it was the Crank Sensor that was the problem but couldn't guarantee it and that it was cost me approx €300 to try and see if that would fix it. Also advised me to go to another garage for a 2nd opinion. Haven't done that as of yet, but will definatly have to get something sorted out with it.
Anyone had this problem before? Is it worth spending €300 on a guess from the mechanic???

Advance Pitstop would not be classed as a proper repair garage & would not have the proper softwear to check out your citroen as they are not a citroen dealer.

take it to a citroen dealer and they will be able to tell you exactly whats wrong, there is no need for guess work with cars anymore. The days of the process of elimation is long gone thankfully.

Usually if you get the dealer to fix the car there is no charge for putting it on the computer & even if you wish to take it someplace else to get it fixed, the computer check should only cost €40/€50. could save you money in the long run.

how old is the C3 & what milage is on it? would citroen still cover this?

Thanks BigMc for your response. Reason i brought it to Advance Pitstop is because they are next door to my job and it i brought it in a lunch time one day. Its a 2006 Citroen with just 29,000 kilometres on it. I bought it 2nd hand from Merlin Motors in 2006 - car was just 6 months old so i'm really the only owner as such. They said that NOTHING came up on the computer - i think there's a Citroen place close enough to me so will definatly drop it in to them. I did bring it before to a particular Citroen dealer for a service and was completely ripped off so i do have my reservations with it in fairness!!

Have you heard of a Crank Sensor before?? What bothered me was that the mechanic couldn't look me in the eye, not once did he! Maybe that was just because he didn't know what the problem was lol!

mine went on my audi bought it through breakersyard website in UK cost me about €60 the breakers yard who took it off sent instructions on excatley where it went and how to do it, it was a fiddle but in the end it just plugs in at each end.. yours will be the same im sure...

Hi Emma,

Im pretty sure he was telling you the truth that nothing showed up on the computer because they would not have the softwear to read your car. What he should have told you in the first place was to take it to a citroen dealer to get it checked, but this would not pay him!!

In my experience advance pitstop are ok for poor quality ''over priced'' exhausts & thats about it!!!

My advice is phone couple of citroen dealers & get price to put car on computer for you. Im sorry to hear you have bein ripped off before & completly understand you having reservations.

When you know exactly what the problem is price some local (non dealer) Mechanics to fix it for you.

Keep in mind if you need parts depending on what it is of course you could try scrap yards, most do next day delivery & for new parts its hard to beat Micks garage.ie. they have a huge stock, well cheaper than dealer prices & top quality also next day delivery. I have no interest in this company im just a satisifed customer.

Id imagine you will have to make appointment with the Cicroen garage you will not just be able to drop in with them.

Hope this helps

Back