Cracks to fireplace back

ali1971

We got a fireplace and mantlepiece installed in our sitting room last April which cost us 1,500 euro. We only started lighting fires in it in end Oct. (using sticks and coal). However the beginning of Dec we noticed a crack appearing all around the fire back. The grate has also broken. I rang the suppliers but they say this often happens and it is no harm. I'm just afraid it will get worse. They will replace the grate for us. They used vermicolyte at the fireback, but I have heard since that sand and lime should be used at the fire back.
Has anybody had a similar problem or what would you recommend?

newly installed fireplaces should be started off with very small fires,sounds like you must have had very hot fires if your grate has also broken.firebacks all tend to have little cracks (hairline) in them its no harm they should still last a long time.the "fill"behind the fireback most commonly used would be sand/lime or a weak mix of sand/cement approx.8:1

All fire backs can be replaced and its not a huge job . They either come in one piece or 3 pieces.It would take about 2 hours work to install

Thanks for your replys. We would have had a couple of very small fires first. The crack going around the whole way of the fire back is alot more than a hairline crack. It's good to know that it's not a huge job to replace the fireback. Thanks again!

Back