cracks in new house (plastered in September 06)

coppeen

We built a new house and it was finished plastered last September. Downstairs is sand and cement and upstairs is the really smooth stuff. A few cracks appeared in a the ceiling etc but nothing major.

We have paintined (3/4 coats) at this stage and all was fine.

THEN we turned on the heating - an issue arose as it turns out the thermostats (we think) are not working so when I went there last week - the house was roasting and the EVERY wall is COVERED in thousands of hairline cracks!!

We have now turned off the heating until the the thermostats are fixed but are wondering - how do we resolve the cracks - especially the ones on the sand and cement???

Any ideas would be brilliant!

Thanks

C

Re: Cracks, cracks and MORE cracks

U didn't build the house over the port tunnel by chance did you??!!

Re: Cracks, cracks and MORE cracks

No Lauren - although it looks a bit like that now!! They are hairline cracks not massive (but then again, they only came up this week so maybe they get worse)!! In fact, it's built on a raft foundation and the outside has NO cracks!

The plasterer had said that typically sand and cement finish is much harder to crack so is surprised!

God, I'm despressed as the house looks fantastic otherwise! Anyone think of a fix - if I have to get something redo next year, so be it!

C

I got Pollyfilla Hair Line Crack remover

You apply it like a paint - let it dry for 15-20 mins - sand it down and paint over with whatever paint is on the wall - it works really well.

It's not available in every hardware shop - Homebase have it and some other hardware shops have it - 1 tub costs €7 and it would cover alot of cracks!

Thanks guys!!

If we wait and then fill with filler - will not be very obvious on the sand/cement rough finish that we have some smooth lines or is there anything I can do to counteract that?

C

Downstairs is sand and cement and upstairs is the really smooth stuff.

I presume that downstairs also had the sand cememt covered in a light coat of hardwall (the smooth stuff). If this is the case there may have been a problem with the sand/cement mix ie it was made stronger than the hardwall skim coat and perhaps you should get the second opinion of another plasterer about what caused the problem.

No - we have a rough finish downstairs which is what I wanted but now I don't know how to clean up the cracks in this - they will end up being smooth in the middle of the rough finish. So no skim...

I know this might sound odd but my friends has the same rough finish and swears it's more hard-wearing with kids!!

Thanks guys!

C

Sand and cement as a finish coat is most unusual for a finish in a dwelling! How long had the plaster been on the walls before turning on the heating? Sounds like "agressive" heating to me, causing shrinkage cracking. Cracking can occur when plastering over a very damp background also (like blockwork that's been exposed to driving rain or green blockwork- blocks that aren't fully mature). Failing all the above, is it possible that a very rich (in cement) render mix was used? It is unusual to get extensive hairline cracking in sand/ cement- especially on internal work where the background is dry and not exposed.

Thanks Carpenter

We were thinking along the same lines - it's been a slow build but the block was up about 4/5 months (and house was closed in) before plastering started. Plastering was finished in September and we only turned on the heating 2 weeks ago but at the lowest setting (13 degrees!). For the first, say 12 days, all was going fine - the odd crack appearing and then overnight all the walls went pop! Upstairs are rads (smooth finish plaster) and downstairs is UFH (sand/cement finish) - looking again today - downstairs walls are much worse than upstairs and the floor downstairs has very few cracks compared to the walls so I thinking you might be right about the mix!!

Now the question is - how the hell do I resolve these cracks??? If I use a typical crack filler - won't I get lots of smooth little lines in my sand/cement finish which will be fairly obvious???

Thanks

C

How about fill the cracks as advised above, then while this is still wet, rub some sand over it?
Leo

Filler is the only option really, try using an exterior grade filler (like Pollyfilla Exterior) as these are cement based and will resemble the background when dry. Make up a "slurry" (not too lean though) and work into cracks with a foam backed float.

Back