Cracks in Floor Tiles

H

hoopz

We have our onsuite tiled about a year. However over the last couple of days we've noticed that the one of the floor tiles has started to crack and if I follow the crack closely it goes across a number of tiles. The crack is only really visible on the first tile but if you look very closely you can see it working it's way across the other tiles. Anybody with any ideas on what may be causing the tiles to crack. No evidence of water leaking anywhere. Maybe the floor has warped or something. Any info is much appreciated.

The same thing has happened me in both the main bathroom and ensuite. It seems that the tiles were laid directly on the tongue & groove wooden floor. The wood mustn't ahve been dried out enough (it was a new house) and expanded/contracted resulting in movement & cracks in the tiles. This happened about a year ago or so - I would imagine that the floor is fully dried out now - next task is to remove the cracked tiles and replace them (lucky I have some original tiles left over)

Anyone got any advice on how to remove & replace the cracked tiles?

thanks

sb

I've seen a few posts on tiling bathroom floors here, however what worked for me was a 18mm marine (waterproof) plywood, screwed (not nailed) at 150 centers. Use a flexible tile adhesive, such as evo-stik PTB, to fix the tiles. I've done my main bathroom and en-suite like this, so far so good. Floor tiles will difinitely lift if placed directly on T & G flooring, as it expands and contracts.

yea, you have to sheet the floor with plywood and screw it every 4-6 inches in every direction. If the tiles are on the floorboards then they will almost certinaly crack along the lines of the wood joins and short of ripping them up not sure what you can do to fix them in situ. If you think about your normal floorboards squeaking etc thats cause the boards are moving. And as tiles have more or less zero flexibility they will crack along that line....

quinno said:
I've seen a few posts on tiling bathroom floors here, however what worked for me was a 18mm marine (waterproof) plywood, screwed (not nailed) at 150 centers. Use a flexible tile adhesive, such as evo-stik PTB, to fix the tiles. I've done my main bathroom and en-suite like this, so far so good. Floor tiles will difinitely lift if placed directly on T & G flooring, as it expands and contracts.
We also did this 6 years ago in a 8 by 10 foot bathroom and we have had no problems to date and are unlikely to have at this stage. Reduces noise levels too!

Back