cracks in ceiling

rosco

can anyone advise how to get rid of cracks in ceilings that occur along joints of plasterboard. Have tried vrs. fillers and caulk but cracks keep reappearing. any advice appreciated. Rosco

Have you just put filler over the cracks or did you actually open up the cracks (Get the side of your scraper/filling knife and open the crack along the crack line) Then use the filler. Fill crack first then finish off at an angle so that the crack wont be as noticeable. It will never be perfect but it should do. If its realy bad, you may need to get in a plasterer.

re cracks the last time cut out an opening along the crackline and filled out with caulk . When dry I sanded to a smooth finish and painted over . thought the job was fine but cracks appeared again,now very noticeable. Thanks for advice . Rosco

You need to secure the ceiling. There is a reason that it cracked. It's hard to give a great answer without pictures, but find the joists near the crack & throw a few screws in it. Then cut away the uneven parts, tape it and float it out. In an extreme case, you may need to cut out the bad section, patch it with new sheetrock & float it out. It sounds like your home may have plaster, if so, see my first response.

Luckytiff 02 many thanks for suggestions. I will try your idea over easter and let you know the outcome after a month or two . Rosco

Back