Crackling Noise on Phone Line

IrishGunner

Have the phone & internet with Utv

When the house was built the main phone line was downstairs

However got Eircom to put 2 more boxes upstairs

Recently the line has been very crackly, sounds like an old dial up modem........
You can still hear the caller but the cracking sounds come now and again
even when the modem is turned off?

Have a router plugged into one phone socket in one room upstairs and
hand held phone into another, in another room

Have a filter for the ISDN line for the modem and plugged this into the ISDN socket
and also tried it without the filter

Don't have a filter on the phone socket

Rang up Utv and was told to get a 'loan' of a non hands free phone and check it
or get another filter and try this

They also checked the line and said there was no fault

Seemed to fob me off a bit, unsurprisingly..........

If they do log a call it would cost me for an Eircom Engineer to come out to the house
Then he might just check the main box downstairs and cut the rest, I was warned about this
from someone

Anyone got any ideas or have a similar experience

TA

If it was me then my first inclination would be to simply check for any loose or poorly connected wires anywhere in the phone wiring system internal to the house. I might even be tempted to disconnect all additional wiring from the main phone socket wherever that comes into the house and then check the line with a wired phone. As ever it's a process of elimination.

I had a similar experience in my business after installing Eircom Broadband, i.e. crackling noise and modem sounds. After much investigation it turned out that we had forgotten to put a filter on one of the phone extensions on the line. We put on a filter and the modem noise is gone.

IrishGunner said:
Have a filter for the ISDN line for the modem and plugged this into the ISDN socket
and also tried it without the filter

Don't have a filter on the phone socket

Try putting a filter on the phone socket. You should have a filter on all phone sockets.