Crack in wall beside chimney breast

milly123

Hi ,

I've notice that there is a large crack in the plasterboard that ajoins the chimney breast in our house. I have noticed this in an upstairs bedroom. You could easily fit a euro coin in sideways. the other side of the same wall has a hairline crack on it exptending into the ceiling. We bought the house last year and had a full structural survey done which didn't show up any problems.

What should I do? Fill it in and paint it and see if it reappears, or get in an engineer for a look?

Any advice would be appreicated.

Thanks

Milly

p.s the house is 14 years old.

Last edited:
Its most likely a settlement crack. The chimney stack is obviously a lot heavier than the adjoining stud partition so you get a bit of pressure on the stack.

I doubt if its serious but for peace of mind you could get get an engineer to have a look. Any chance of a couple of pics?

Thanks Nutty nut,

I will take a pic tonight and try to post it here. Hopefully it isn't serious, someone suggested that the chimney may not be lined properly and may have caught fire and caused the wall to expand at some stage !! But I think that as the house is 14 years old a major problem like that would have come to light beforehand - hopefully !

Thanks again.

Back