Covid, SARS, MERS, Common Cold and other Coronavirus.

EasilyAmused

“Coronavirus family now a prime suspect in previous pandemics”
An article in the Irish Times today.

Well worth a read. Interesting to note there have been eight endemics and pandemics so far this century.

Personally I think researchers and scientists should be incentivised to continue their Coronavirus research so as to eradicate the common cold once this pandemic is over.

“Coronavirus family now a prime suspect in previous pandemics”
An article in the Irish Times today.

Well worth a read. Interesting to note there have been eight endemics and pandemics so far this century.

Personally I think researchers and scientists should be incentivised to continue their Coronavirus research so as to eradicate the common cold once this pandemic is over.
The common cold is a collection of around 20 different viruses. They include human rhinoviruses, coronaviruses, parainfluenza viruses and adenoviruses.
The RNA vaccine research was originally looking at vaccines for cancer. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation invested $53 million in German company CureVac to help with their research.

I listened to Luke O’Neill yesterday. He says there are pharma companies out there trying to make anti-virals for Coronavirus. If they’re successful, these will remedy all Coronavirus, Covid-19, SARS, common cold (CV). Good news.

I listened to Luke O’Neill yesterday. He says there are pharma companies out there trying to make anti-virals for Coronavirus. If they’re successful, these will remedy all Coronavirus, Covid-19, SARS, common cold (CV). Good news.
An antiviral is any drug that inhibits the development of the virus, as opposed to destroying it. The can do things like target an enzyme that is only produced by the virus and not by the host, thus stopping replication. The danger will all drugs like this, and tradition vaccines, is that because the virus lives in our cells there can be unforeseen reactions between the drug and our DNA. That's the reason the new mRNA vaccines are so exciting; not only do they not contain the pathogen (virus), but they are far less likely to interact with our DNA.

There is research being conducted into a pan-coronavirus vaccine.
It is intended to be effective against Covid-19, SARS, MERS, common cold, etc.

The spike protein on all Corona Viruses must be sufficiently similar that they can be targeted by a single vaccine.

Would that only be the common colds that are caused by coronaviruses?
The rhinovirus ones would be different?

Back