Covenants in a Lease

dewdrop

Our house is held under a Lease with 200 years to run and the ground rent has not been paid or demanded for many years. As is common with such leases created years ago there are conditions that such things as pigs and fowl are not permitted on the property and the interior and exterior must be kept in good repair. Just wondering is the party now beneficially entitled to the ground rent legally entitled to pursue such conditions.

You should be able to buy out the freehold. I have a leasehold property, with a tiny ground rent that has never been paid, but I know that I can apply to the land registry and buy to get it changed, only real cost would be a solicitor.

Also I was involved in a sale for someone recently and the issue of ground rent came up. Solicitor gave two options, agree to pay around 200 Euros or so (which covers the last 6 years of ground rent, statute of limitations applied) or declare that ground rent had never been requested, that's the option we went for and the purchasers solicitor had no problem with that.

But all titles are different so just ask your solicitor.