Court Information

sepmilo

How easy/difficult would it be to find information on a recent courtcase, circuit/town?

as long as it is not a family matter, then the local newspaper in a small town should have full details.

And in Dublin? Is it possible to get information? I phoned the coroners court a few years ago to find out what the verdict was on a sudden death of an acqaintance, but they wouldn't tell me. I would have thought this information would be in the public domain.

The newspapers don't report every case in the district courts. It's usually only local scandal that gets reported eg local business man drink driving etc. I know that sometimes there are no reporters in the local district court particularly for civil cases.

If it is not reported in the papers you are unlikely to find out anything from the courts. Only High court and above decisions are archived online.

But presumably all court proceedings (bar in camera proceedings such as in the Family Law Courts) are available somewhere for public perusal? Justice being done and being seen to be done and all that...

Gordanus

For what's it worth. Was a Death certificate was issued?, it's obligatory!!! That certificate would give cause of death. These records are usually held in the district where the death occurred. A search, going back 5 years, can be under-taken for a small fee.

Justsally

Good point, Clubman. I often wondered about that myself without looking any further. There is a web site ([broken link removed]) but it seems to cover High Court, Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeal only.

The old deterant of your name being in the paper is not really much of a deterant now as few cases in the district courts get into the papers. It either gets reported at the time or it doesn't. After this a person has a right to privacy and no one may mention the fact that Mr X of Ballygobackwards was fined €10 for jay walking. Its a private matter between you and the state and none of anyones business.

Back