Couple 70s, renting, with €1.4m to invest

Gabbo23

Hi

An advanced couple in their early 70s decided to sell their PPR and sell up and trade down, realising about 1.4M. They then decided not to buy but are happy in a long term rental. They want a zero hassle investment for the equity? Not property. Any thought please?

They then decided not to buy but are happy in a long term rental.
Not the question you asked but I think they’d be mad to rent at that age if they can afford not to.

They won’t run out of money to pay rent but are at the whim of a landlord who can terminate the tenancy for a variety of reasons.

No one needs that kind of uncertainty so late in life.

They want a zero hassle investment for the equity?
Do they have kids who they want to inherit it?

Assume, if you will, that whims are not the issue. And secondly yes kids will want to inherit

If fair deal would apply, is it more favourable to have a v expensive ppr over cash ?

And although adult offspring expect to inherit, is the view of the parents aligned to this? Is there any scope for them to start using the 3k gift allowance to pass on some now that it's not tied up in their ppr?

100% regardless I would advise them to buy their own home. At this age I would only not buy if I had guaranteed right of residence elsewhere. Renting will not give them this.

What other income, assets, savings, debts, etc. do they have?

Probably needs a Money Makeover to get useful feedback...

They then decided not to buy but are happy in a long term rental. They want a zero hassle investment for the equity?

This is the problem.

There is no investment option for them which is risk-free.

They can put the money on deposit and it could be wiped out by inflation. One will probably live 20 years and so it could hit in that time. One will probably end up in a nursing home and as they have cash, they will have to pay for it themselves.

€1.4m is a lot of money, but there is a risk, although small, that it could run out.

They should invest the money in equities as when one of them dies, their inherent Capital Gains will disappear.

But it's absolutely clear that with that amount of money, they should buy a home and live in it.

are happy in a long term rental.

I presume that they are renting from a child or relation where they have security of tenure. Otherwise, they could be asked to leave which would be even more disruptive as they get older.

This all sounds complicated. Is there a trusted Financial Advisor that the majority recommend?
I don't think that it's necessarily that complicated.
Although, as I said above, we may not have all relevant info yet.
Why not first do a Money Makeover post?
Then, if necessary, talk to an independent financial advisor forearmed with the feedback from the Askaboutmoney community.

Why would someone do this?