Council Rates :dissatisfied with the valuation, how best to approach them?

hizzy

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can help please. I'm self-employed, my business is spread over 3 shop units, it is a launderette. I got a valuation report done on the rates, which cost me 750 euros, just to get the report done, and then they gave me 75 cent off, which when I worked it out, means they are going to give me 65 euro off my 7000 euro a year bill.

They have asked that if I am dissatisfied with the valuation that I am to make representations via a form they sent me.

Now of course I am dissatisfied with the valuation, but can anyone give me advice at how best to approach them.

Many thanks

There are professional valuation companies that will challenge the rates and take a cut of the savings, see yellow pages.

However, be aware that just because you are dissatisfied with your rateable valuation, it doesn't mean it's incorrect or unreasonable.

Is it out of line with other similar premises?

.........just because you are dissatisfied with your rateable valuation, it doesn't mean it's incorrect or unreasonable.....

Hmmm..............

Rates, as Dublin City Council point out, are not a payment for any service. They are a form of local taxation. ( on entities that cannot vote in local elections. )

The rates system in Ireland is a fine example of taxation without representation.

Hizzy, complain and object at every chance. Remember, the figure that you agree now will probably be what your rates will be based on for many, many years to come.

"The rates system in Ireland is a fine example of taxation without representation"

"Taxation without representation" was perhaps a valid complaint in the times and historical context in which the phrase was born. In a modern democracy, I think the phrase is virtually meaningless.

The local authority will have no power to vary your valuation. You should make an appeal if think fit to the Valuation Tribunal Office.

Generally, you will know if you valuation is correct if it is similar to that of other businesses (in your category) in your location.

Ask to check the valuation listing of other premises at the local authority office.

Based on the 65c change when you appealed, i would expect that no change will take place at the Tribunal- unless some material fact was overlooked or otherwise.

Personally, i don't think the rates payable are excessive for the businesses you have identified- anyways the Revenue will give you credit on tax return for rates as an allowable expense.

Send me a message if you wish to discuss

OldDog

If you want to have a Letting Off Steam discussion, please do so in the appropriate forum. Don't drag this practical discussion off topic.

Thanks

Brendan

I've no real expertise in this area but I did make a representation (using a standard form accompanied by letter) for a family member some years ago. I made a case for a lower valuation based on a number of grounds:

The premises in question required ongoing major repair work and many parts of the premises (those parts not open to the public) would be considered commercially unlettable in their present state.

The business was a small business and provided a modest income for the owner and his partner only. Turnover was small but stocking was a large cost requiring large areas of storage (the premises looked more promising to the valuer in terms of revenue generation than was really the case)

The business had a small public (trade) area but required a large area of (dead) storage space, such was the nature of the enterprise.

Much of the storage accommodation would not meet current building regulations and would not be readily lettable without further significant capital expenditure.

A number of other points were made in relation to the lack of on street parking available, building regulation issues etc.

The net result was a small decrease in the valuation for this family member, so I suppose it was worth pursuing, but don't expect miracles those valuers are a special breed- a cross between an auditor and a country QS!

response to off-topic discussion deleted
As an aside, I am also fairly familiar with the law on commercial rates, being one of the relatively small number of solicitors to have taken (and won) a valuation case in the High Court. My victory effectively confirmed that it was unlawful to carry out a general 'uplift' revaluation of all the premises in a town, in the way which was commonly done before this. (The law has since been substantially revised). And yes, before you say it: I should get out more.

Back