Couch wont fit into apartment

River

Bought a couch back in april and after many phonecalls and numerous c0ck ups by retailer, which i wont go in to, the couch was delivered today.
And now it won fit through living room door. We bought off the plans and measured the door at the showroom apartments and it was the correct size and would have fitted through. However it would not fit through our door.

Anyway its been a bit of a nightmare, but what i want to know is what retailer is likely to say when i ring him. Would we get a full refund or is a credit note more likely?

If anyone has any experience, it'd be appreciated.

The retailer is not obliged to do anything for you-see [broken link removed] for more details.

Unless you were misled about the size of the couch, then there is no fault on the part of the retailer. As a gesture of goodwill, they could/should offer you a credit note.

Assuming you still want it..... Would it fit through the doorway if the door was taken off?

Measuring showhouse/apartments etc to order stuff for your own house/apartment can be a dangerous practice - as I discovered a number of years ago. We measured the showhouse from top to bottom. And ordered tiles etc based on the measurement only to find that the showhouse was in fact a couple of (then) feet wider and deeper than the houses that were built afterwards. Needless to say I wasn't too happy :(

Hi ,

My friend bought a couch from reids and all the measurements worked on paper......after 4 flights of stairs they discovered the wouldnt fit through the door......I dont know about you but they were able to take the door off the frame and to make things easier they shrink wrapped the couch so all the cushioning shrunk a little.....fitted like a dream....Again i dont know your circumstances but you might be able to attempt the above

A person I know got a couch from Reid it wouldn't fit through the door so she called a glazer and asked how much it would cost to take out the window in the front and replace after the couch was brought through, she then called Reid and said that either they pay for it or the couch would be dropped back to the shop the next morning, They paid up......

johndoe64 said:
A person I know got a couch from Reid it wouldn't fit through the door so she called a glazer and asked how much it would cost to take out the window in the front and replace after the couch was brought through, she then called Reid and said that either they pay for it or the couch would be dropped back to the shop the next morning, They paid up......

Why? Sure it wasn't Reids fault from what you are saying that the thing wouldn't fit in....thats surely responsibility of the buyer?

when we were looking at a sofa from Reid, we were unsure whether it would fit in, so we paid them to deliver the show model, and if it fitted then would purchase the new one, as it didn't fit, it cost us the delivery charge, but a lot less than ordering a new one only to find it wouldn't fit, as they can be reluctant to offer refund/credit note as nothing wrong with their product.

legend99 said:
Why? Sure it wasn't Reids fault from what you are saying that the thing wouldn't fit in....thats surely responsibility of the buyer?

But Reids chose to pay-they didn't have to.

Sometimes it pays to scream and shout even though you don't have a leg to stand on!

If anyone was listening to The Last Word on Tuesday evening they may have heard how AIB refunded interest on a credit card bill, even though it was charged in accordance with their own terms and conditions!

Similar to this situation, in the interests of goodwill, Reids may choose to let the OP return the sofa-they don'y have to, but there is no harm in asking, as evidenced by johndoe64's post.

Would the couch fit if you took down the door ?
This happened me before but it was only the arms that were jamming, so i took down the door and no problems.

legend99, I agree with you on your point, it was nothing to do with Reid that the couch wouldn't fit, that is totally down to the consumer to measure and make sure that it will fit into the house.

I'm not sure if it was just goodwill on their part or that the person just jumped up and down so much that they gave in, either way she didn't pay for it.

if your on the bottom floor try taking out the windows by removing the rubber outer?

Back