Costs of tracking a global equity fund within a pension

SGWidow

Assuming no tracking error, what is the cheapest total cost of tracking a global equity index within a pension?

What is the breakdown of these charges?

Not what you're looking for and I don't have a definitive answer. There a a lot of moving parts in terms of type of pension contract, level of contribution, whether some of them apply or that the information is freely available from all product providers.

AMC/Wrapper Fees (+ if they apply - advisor fees, policy fees, trusteeship fees, bid/offer spread, early exit charges) + Ongoing Charges Figure (OCF)/TER/Other Ongoing Charges (OOCs) + Portfolio Transaction Costs.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie

Ok Gerard,

What is the cheapest charge for someone, aged 50, with a PRB of €300,000?

I, honestly, find it hard to believe that it's so hard to give a figure before adviser charges.

See the teeth plucking going on in the other thread!

It's hard to believe because the information on OOCs and PTCs from all PRB providers is not freely available to do a comparison and arrive at the 'cheapest'. And, even at that, OOCs and PTCs vary from time to time.

For that product, at that age, with that level of contribution I'll say 0.51%, where 0.50% is the AMC and 0.01% is the *current* sum of OOCs & PTCs on the indexed global equity fund.

Perhaps, now, someone else will put foward a 'cheaper' one.??

Ok Gerard,

What is the cheapest charge for someone, aged 50, with a PRB of €300,000?

I, honestly, find it hard to believe that it's so hard to give a figure before adviser charges.

See the teeth plucking going on in the other thread!

Standard Life, 100% allocation, 0.35% amc for a limited number of vanguard funds. Additional ongoing fees of 0.02%.

Can't speak for any other advisor but my fees are displayed on my website https://www.bluewaterfp.ie/fees/

Steven
[broken link removed].

Standard Life, 100% allocation, 0.35% amc for a limited number of vanguard funds. Additional ongoing fees of 0.02%.

Can't speak for any other advisor but my fees are displayed on my website https://www.bluewaterfp.ie/fees/
Any chance you can give a single percentage figure Steven, or even an up-front fee plus the on-going cost? Your website mentions 0.5% on-going service fees, I have no idea if that is missing from your numbers above or if you've reduced it to 0.35% for SGWidow's example. Also not clear which of the fees on your site would actually apply in this case.

Thanks Gerard and Steven,

I genuinely appreciate the clarity of your writing and wish you well.

I also believe that agents need to be paid.

For now, I'd like to address Gerard's last post.

Gerard - are you saying that I could invest in an indexed global equity fund for 51 basis points - give or take a few basis points - before the agent's commission? i.e. if there is no tracking error, my return would lag the index by 51 basis points annually and assuming no agent fees?

[Steven - I know that you mentioned 37 basis points but am unsure if this is for an indexed global equity fund. If is is, great - if not, I'd prefer not to dilute the focus on charges with comparative costs of different fund types.]

Last edited:
For that product, at that age, with that level of contribution - Yes.

The only provisio I'd put with that is that, in some cases the pension office unit price may lag index by a few days. This is referred to by some offices as a 'two stage switch fund' via an external fund and the details of that would be in the Policy Document eg. "If any of the source funds is a two stage switch fund, there will be a delay between the relevant fund valuation date(s) and when a Unit Price in respect of that date is known."

So, if you're sitting down to prove on *A* day that the above is lagging the index by 0.51% it's not going to be precicely right. But, it's disclosed.

That's my understanding of the mechanics of it.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie

Back