Costs of a Renovation?

W

whelo

Looking at a 2nd hand home which as the EA said requires 'redecoration' throughout. It's more like a complete refurb.

Anyway, the house is a standard mid terrace 3 bed house, circa 75 sqm.

Looking for potential costs involved in the following jobs;

1. Rewiring the whole house (Incl. the plaster job on walls after)
  2. Install GFCH. Incl. 5 radiators and the labour in pulling up floors etc.
  3. New windows. 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs as a guide.
  4. Buying new kitchen units and a shower for the bathroom upstairs. Tiles for both.
Obviously the general decoration and the labour intensive jobs for preparing for all the jobs, i am willing to do myself.

Looking for estimates on above jobs and timeline involved. It'll have a big influence on what i feel the house is worth.

All help greatly appreciated!

Re: Costs of a Renovation???

Hi,

We got a rewire done on a 4 bed recently - cost was ~10k. That included the small bits of plastering/fill required. Yours should be a bit less than that.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hi
I used this site every night when we were doing up our house so now its nearly done I thought Id give a breakdown of what things cost us as I know that was the main question I had when looking for ideas

We bought a semi detached house that needed everything doing to it

Builders costs - 55k -
  • Drylining the house with 50mm - has made a massive difference - we didnt get it done in two rooms and they are definitely colder- think this cost about 5k
  • Knocked wall between kitchen and dining room in and had the beam recessed into the ceiling.
  • Buying and layng solid wood floors downstairs- got floor solid oak - v wide plank - brushed laquer in budget tiles
  • Buying and laying tiles in kitchen and bathroom - tiled the whole bathroom in marble - looks brilliant - got them in budget tiles - marble tiles were v good value but tiler said they were an absolute nitemare to put in cos they were so thick and heavy- He was fantastic but took him a week to do the bathroom which is about 8ft x 8ft
  • Pinned kitchen extension back to the wall on the main house (was coming away) - was about 3k I think
  • Replaced flat roof on kitchen extension with a pitched roof and velux windows- 8k which I think was quite expensive
  • purchase and hanging of 11 internal doors - bolection mould doors from Doras/Bearfoot - 4 panel doors with a deep panel
  • Purchase and fitting of 7" skirting and architrave throughout house-
  • Skimmed living room
  • Made hole for the fireplace bigger - to get in a wood burner
  • Replastered ceiling in living room and kitchen
  • Converted garage
  • Knocking wall betwene bathroom and toilet - replastering the ceiling
  • Moving attic trap door and putting in a stira
Windows
  • Used wright windows - they were great - got wooden front door, wooden garage doors with windows & 11 windows for 13,600 - got a 22% (I think) discount for ordering all windows for the house
Bathroom
  • Split between tubs and tiles for bath and shires for suite
Plumbing
  • Cost 13500 for system to be replumbed - got new combi boiler so have no hot water tank - water heats up on demand - so far is brilliant - pressure is great - is all on a 3 bar pump
  • Got new radiators throughout - went for old fashjioned column radiators downstairs which are really good - heat off them is fantastic
  • Plumbed in kitchen, bathroom and downstairs toilet
Kitchen
  • Used Noel fay kitchens and they were very good - very professional, - spent ages looking at kitchen companies - was quoted 10,000 + fitting by panelling centre, 13000 from magnet both for MDF kitchens - After these two quotes we increased the number of presses we got by three floor to ceiling double units to hold washing machine, tumble dryer etc and got 3 double floor to ceiling units, 1 floor to celing unit for fridge, 2 wide sets of drawers, 2 display cabinets without doors, integrated front for dishwasher , microwave unit with a flap, 2 corner units, 4 sets of door cabinets - in solid oak painted cream, with an solid oak frame (in oak colour), solid oak worktop, belfast sink and window pelmet for €17,500- shleves are not solid wood.
  • Went to Hardys in Kilkeel to get the kitchen appliances - was a lot cheaper - they were so helpful, friendly and even though we weremnt expecting it must have spent over an hour with us picking stuff, suggesting the best deals- everything was delivered for £50 - saturday slot.
Fireplaces
  • Got a cast iron fireplace in antique fireplaces beside palmers pub - v quick
  • Got a cream jotul stove - rang all suppliers in ireland and there was as much as €1,000 in the price difference! Called Wexford firplace company, ordered it over the phone, they delivered it to Dublin for €70 - still worked out a few hundred cheaper than the next cheapest supplier - only problem was getting someone to install it - but one shop were selling them and chaging €700 to install! - In the end we got it done for 450 including slate- Never had seen a wood burning stove working before but the heat off it is something else,
Floorboards
Got upstairs floors sanded by EV kidd - 5 beds for I think around 2,000- they were excellent

Door knobs
Got brass doorknobs in victorian salvage company

Anyway I hope this helps someone who is in the middle of it now!

I have no links with any of the companies I have mentioned except as a customer

Hi

Could you give contact names & nos for the builders plumbers suppliers etc --- thanks

BJS,

great post, were considering buying a fixer upper ourselves but neither me nor the missus have any expcerience but we have our eye on a detached 4 bed in a great location, we'd need to have a similar amount done to what you did, except the present windows look ok.

How much did it all come too? Just looking for a ballpark figure and how long did it all take?

Hi Slaphead

All came to about 140k including windows and doors - although we still have bits to do! we moved out for about 9 weeks so I reckon in total once work started it took about 10 or 11 weeks.

Hope this helps
BJS

Back