Costs involved in importing from the UK?

Fed_up

From the UK, that is!

I'm looking at a car online. I need a new car pronto, my budget is €2,500, plus I anticipated paying about €1,000 for insurance for the year plus about €800 tax on the car for the year.

Now, there's a nice looking car that I have my eye on. It's €2,600, but I reckon I could get him down to my price if I offer cash.

Thing is, I'm not sure the total costs involved. The car is in the Republic (Donegal) with English plates on it.

What are the total costs involved - I know I have to pay for the car (no ****) and insure myself on it, but all this stuff about VRT and tax has me confused. Is VRT the same as the tax I'd pay on an Irish car every year? Is it on top of that? Would I have to NCT the car as well once I get it? Immediately? What kinda price range would I need to factor in for the NCT? (It's a 99' Focus, 1.6L, tidy looking, reckon it wouldn't take much for the NCT).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The revenue VRT calc will tell you how much VRT will be....

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

It's just a one off payment to get the car on irish plates.

below a sample output for a 1.4 focus march 1999 with 70000 miles...

Tax is around €340 per year I think.
Car will need to be booked in for NCT alright, might cost very little or may cost a few hundred depending on the condition of the car.

Hope that helps!

DATE: 02 October 2008 TIME: 21:51 STATISTICAL CODE: 40186250 MAKE: FORD MODEL: FOCUS 1.4 [74BHP] (To Jul. 2005) VERSION: LX 74BHP 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY / CO2 EMISSIONS: 158
MILEAGE: 70000 MILES DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: MARCH 1999 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €4371 RATE OF TAX: 24% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date)
€1049

CASH IS KING AT THE MOMENT!! log onto carzone and make some offers for something you like - you never know you might get a 01 model for that money!!

So just to confirm, the price of buying this car, importing it and running it for one year would be:

2,600 - the price of the car
1,100 - the approx VRT (to get Irish plates)
1,000 - my approx insurance
300 - tax on it for the year?

That plus an NCT - cars are expensive! Thanks though.

dont forget the afdditional costs involved - plane over, boat back probably, a nights accomodation, food, etc - I did it this way (paid for another person to come over and check the car out aswell) and it came to about £500 stg all in........might be an idea to get an AA check done on the car aswell

dont forget the afdditional costs involved - plane over, boat back probably, a nights accomodation, food, etc

Now....

The car is in the Republic (Donegal) with English plates on it.

I never had to get a plane or boat to Donegal in my life!!!

my mistake................sorry folks..........fri morn .....wrong side of the bed and all that

"If I could I'd build a wall around old Donegal"
"the north and south to keep em out by god I'd build it tall"