Cost to Go from 2017 Car To 2019 / 2020 Car

lukeskywalker

I have a 2017 Renault Kadjar diesel average yearly mileage and I'm trying to move up to a used 2019 or a pre-registered / demo 2020 similar mid sized diesel SUV. In my head, I had it to move up each year was about €3-€3.5K per year . I'm being told by franchised dealers that the cost to move up each year in this class of car is about €5K per year or thereabouts. I know never to take a car dealer at face value etc etc, but is this correct? Am I out of date or is this sales mush?

I have a 2017 Renault Kadjar diesel average yearly mileage and I'm trying to move up to a used 2019 or a pre-registered / demo 2020 similar mid sized diesel SUV. In my head, I had it to move up each year was about €3-€3.5K per year . I'm being told by franchised dealers that the cost to move up each year in this class of car is about €5K per year or thereabouts. I know never to take a car dealer at face value etc etc, but is this correct? Am I out of date or is this sales mush?

Unfortunately I would say most dealers would give you the same sort of quote.

Look at the prices both years models are selling for as a rough guide. 2017 Kadjars advertised vary in price from €16-22k, 2019 from €23-34. The differential is likely to be reflective of spec level, your ~€3.5k might be close for base spec, but the dealers €5k closer to the mark for higher spec.

Is it wise to go for a Diesel now, given potential equalisation of excise duty is more likely with next Government?

new cars depreciate, doesnt matter what they are, BMWs are as bad as anything else.

i would suggest you look away from diesel though, i certainly wouldnt want to be stuck with one.

Lots happening on the EV front and prices are relatively attractive with the 10k rebate. Have you seen the new VW ID3 or any of the Korean mini suv evs (which would all be similar in size to the Kadjar)

Brother living in Cork has A3 Audi 191 reg. I think a new model of the A3 is due out end of year start of new year. He puts up heavy mileage and phoned up the dealer. Anyway to cut a long story short trading in 191 in two weeks time for the exact same model 1250 euro. Apparently dealer has a few of the old/current model wants rid. Happy days.

Details here on the UK experience. Not all models depreciate equally for a given brand, and even then the spec level will have an impact. Renault at 45% average depreciation isn't good, but isn't the worst either.

Back