Cost Per Block to build wall

lastbuilders

Hi,

I just wanted to get an indication of what is the going rate now for building blocks. I am getting a retaining wall built out of 4 inch blocks done. There will be about 1200 blocks in it. I got a quote of 1 euro a block. I am based in the north east. The wall is about 33 meters by 1.5 meters.

Lastbuilders

Lastbuilders,

In a similar position at the moment wrt needing to build a retaining wall. After speaking with several folks, they've semi-convinced me to go with one of the dry-build "decorative" type retaining products from the likes of Acheson&Glover or Tobermore. Although expensive, justification included the fact that there is no labour charge (assuming DIY) and that once a block wall is built, it still needs to be faced with something or plastered, dashed etc. Had you given any consideration to any of these products?

I have thought about these options but the cost involved put me off. The house is all done in Roadstone Hallmark so a full hallmark wall woul be the best but the costs have to take priority on this one. The piers will be done in hallmark and there will be a soldier course on the top of the wall in hallmark too so should loook grand.

I also have to put a second retaining wall on a second level thought haven't decided on what to do this in. I want to do it in sleepers but have heard they are dangerous and may be illegal for domestic use.

Lastbuilders

A 4 inch block is not suitable for a retaining wall unless laid on the flat. A 6" block would be better. €1 per block is good.

Lastbuilders,

Any harm to ask what the final cost/m2 was for your blocklayer building the hallmark stone. I recall that you built TF and hence only required the outer leaf built in stone. Am in a similar situation & looking desperately for some benchmark before making a final decision. Thanks, apple1

I just had my boundary wall(s) done - Eur0.85 per block for 4", and Eur 1.20 for 9" hollow. Only this is.......it was Galway - sorry :)

Hi apple1,

I paid about 55 euro a sq meter to build the hallmark. The 4 inch will be built on the flat.

Lastbuilders

thats a good quote, i finished a retaining wall in decorative blocks @ 3euro a block cost price too

dbl8,

Which type of decorative block did you use? What height was your retaining wall? Thanks in advance, apple1

Back