cost of wedding!

12Ginger

hi there. Living in the northeast and want to arrange our civil wedding ceremony. Difficult to find nice venue for small civil wedding - any ideas? Looking for ideas to arrange a nice wedding but without blowing the family budget! Need to organise for 30 persons max. for under 10k - all ideas and tips welcome please! Also, does anyone have any experience with the cost of getting married abroad - does it really work out cheaper?

Re: cost of wedding!!

Hi 12Ginger,

Did you see that article in the Star a couple weeks ago about that Confetti survey? The average Irish wedding costs between €30-€40k. It makes me dizzy just thinking about it!

I visit Confetti.ie a lot and they have this section called "real weddings" where you can see pictures and check out suppliers of other couples' weddings. There was a couple who had been living together for a while and didn't want a big wedding, so they had a meal at a restaurant that mattered to them and then friends back to the house for drinks - all came to under €10k. Another couple went abroad in a quasi-elopement style on the cheap. Saying I do shouldn't mean you marry poverty, seriously.

Hope this helps.

try looking on weddingsonline.ie a whole world of information on weddings

I had 130 people for less than 15k so i think you will be grand. look at the website weddingsonline.ie and you can pick up some tips on how to save on stuff.

I know someone who had civil cermony in hotel and reception there afterwards. Band etc all came to under 10k and that was for 70 people. No real need for flowers (except for bride), no need for cars. Also, another couple I know just booked a small restaurant for their reception. They had full choice of menu too. Getting married abroad may work out cheaper sometimes for the couple but its the guests who end up spending more than they would if you got married at home

There's a new magazine out today called 25 Real Irish Weddings that has pictures of couples - does what it says on the tin. Thumb through that to see what you can get for your money.

Also, the civil registration act allows you to consolidate ceremony location and venue location into one which could help you save on flowers, transportation, mass booklets, the works. The venue has to be a public venue, in that anyone can use it for that purpose (same as a function room) and it has to be approved. Any venue event manager worth his weight should know whom to contact to get the location approved.

On the subject of getting married abroad, like anything else it can be cheaper. I know somebody who got married in Portugal.

Their whole wedding cost 20k or so and apparantly it was amazing. Free food, free drink for all, horse drawn carraige, 2 differant sets of musicians in an amazing setting and amazing fireworks at the end of the night. My mate said it was the best wedding he had ever been to (mine must of been a big letdown for him as it was only a month after it!).

I was at a wedding in Sorento in Italy which was amazing but I know it cost an arm and a leg.

Basically it depends on what you want to do. I considered renting out a small resteraunt in Italy for the night (which wouldve been way cheaper then a hotel) but in the end we wanted to have all our friends and family with us.

Sounds like you want something small and personal (what I wanted originally!!!)

My friend (mentioned above incidentally) had his reception in the Bettystown Village Hotel. Its only down the road from where I live now, is small ( I would of thought its not that expensive as they will give you the function room for an hour for free for resident meetings) and caters for up to 60. Sure give them a bell and see what you think. Its near the beach so theres a nice local place for beach pics (if you want)

[broken link removed]

getting married in Portugal, for non residents there is a min stay period, which i think is 30 days before you can get married, worth checking out if someone likes the idea of a portugal wedding.

Why not get married in your own home or back garden and then have a big party down your local, it would cost alot less than 10k and then you could spend the surplus on a honeymoon.

Back