cost of tiler

nbc

hi,
I have asked a tiler to tile my bathroom floor- 3 sq yds. I understand its a small job and a pain. He says he will have to lift toilet up and remove wash basin pedestal in order to apply plywood and then he tiles on this. The cost is E270. He will supply ply and grout. Is this about normal?
nbc

Looks like he is charging you full day rate.
Plumber would normally charge 100 to lift and replace white-ware. Carpenter to fit ply??
prob no less than 80. If you could do any of these jobs yourself you should get it tiled for 50-80.
Dont know many tilers who would give up a day to make 50-80 euros though.
Get yourself a DIY book and have a go at the white ware yourself.
Good luck

That is expensive. Sounds like you are only getting the floor done as you said only the removal of the bowl and pedestal is required. This simplifies matters greatly as you don't have to worry about the water plumbing fixtures.

When we got our bathroom tiled (walls & floor) I removed all the ware, put down the plywood and refitted ware after tiling. Bit time consuming but not all all difficult. In your case it should be alot easier.

Basin Pedestal
1. Loosen screws on basin & cut any holding silicon
2. Gentley lift basin and pull out pedestal.

Toilet Bowl
1. Flush Toilet and tie up ball cork to stop it refilling again
2. Loosen waste pipe and remove bowl
3. Cover waste pipe with cling film !

Now measure and fit 7mm ply. You don't have to be very fussy with accuracy of cutting as the adhesive will fill in any gaps. Just make sure you screw it down well, screws 6-8 inches apart

To refit pedestal you may be lucky enough to get the pedestal under the basin even with the higher floor. If not then remove screws and lift basin while inserting pedestal. Rescrew basin to wall or a good coating of silicon would hold basin on its own to wall.

For bowl, remove cling film and position bowl in place and fit waste pipe. Mark position for holes in tiles. Remove bowl, drill and then screw in bowl.
It might be a good idea to measure position of original holes before applying plywood & tiles and use this as guide for new holes after tiling.

Not too difficult. Why not even take on the tiling? 3 square yards would be easy ! Save yourself some money and treat yourself to a nice pressie :)

Hope this helps,.

cybermate

Dont forget to turn off the water before you remove the toilet and basin!! :)

Also run the water before you disconnect until the water stops. Watch when taking off the water feed to the toilet bowel, it will contain water and drown ur feet and clothes.

You will need to put stop valves on these, otherwise any other items, showers, toilets etc on the loop will not have water.

I'm guessing this is an upstairs bathroom given the inclusion of ply. If you're putting ply down on the joists, go for 3/4" / 18mil. 7mil mentioned above is way too flexible, the joints will crack, tiles will lift.

Some people will suggest marine ply for this, but this is expensive, and unless you're going for a wet room is over kill. WBP will do the job.
Leo

thanks for replies guys. I'm a big believer in getting a professional to do a job so wont tackle it myself.
nbc

If the tiler is a reputable one ....... go for it. You are getting it done for a decent price. Remember, when removing old pedestals and pans you've got to be careful. Rusty screws, withered seals, getting the basin to sit right on the newly raised floor.

Leo is correct. 7mm would be far too thin if going directly on to joists. I screwed 7mm on top of 18mm OSB to make it that bit extra frim.

Back