Cost of Spot/down lighters installed by an electrician?

T

tristo

Hi All,

I need an electrician to install some spot/down lighters in an apartment.
Basically 6 in the living room 3 in the kitchen and 3 in the hallway.
Currently there is just a pendent/rose hanging down from the ceiling in all three rooms so all the wiring is there the only thing that needs to be done is cut the holes and wire the new lights with transformers in.
There is full access to the attic too so plenty of space to work.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough estimate on how much this job should cost?

Many Thanks
Tristo

I paid 45 euro PER SPOT whilst a house being built. That included fittings

Just out of curosity, can you just install spot light in any cealing or does the cealing need to be specially insulated and fire protected to do this?

Note sure if this was something I head or something I imagined.

ad

You can get fire rated fittings, come with their own housing. Bit dearer than run of the mill ones.

Secman

Cost me €210 (all in) for three bathroom spots to be installed.

Hi All ,

Thanks all for your replies, i had gotten a quote before for €950 which i thought was ridiculous so there was no way i was willing to pay that. i was also quoted €75 an hour. To me this seems an easy enough job for an electrician esp considering they have full access to the attic. i would do it myself only i doubt i would get the holes/fittings in a straight line

Tristo

Hi,

I would recommend you do this job yourself and save a lot of money. It's no more difficult than wiring a plug, just always make sure you isolate your power before you work ( Turn off the trip that provides light to the rooms in question). Take your time and mark off where you want spots positioned, measuring off walls and other fixed points to get square. Buy your fittings, transformers etc in an Electrical Suppliers. They will provide you with the exact drill fitting you need for the light fittings you buy giving you a nice neat hole. This is an easy DIY job done in a day(made easier by the access to your attic). I have done all the above myself and it's genuinely easy.

Good Luck,
Maddad.

Interesting that it appears to be straightforward. I would consider doing the same in my house, except if I were to do it I would like to do it downstairs as well.
My issue there is that on the floors upstairs I have laid laminate over chipboard flooring, so access would be touch. I'd hate to get the whole setof upstairs flooring ripped up for the sake of this, as I would think it would make the job much bigger and more costly - but maybe I'm being too cautious? Has anybody else tackled a similar issue?